Caribou Gear Tarp

Which 22lr for 10yr old?

MT_Fin

My oldest is turning 10 soon and I would like to replace his small single shot 22 with a new rifle for his birthday. I am looking for recommendations on what to look at. I was thinking a Ruger American or possibly a 10/22, maybe even the new Tikka T1.

Any good options I’m overlooking, Anyone have experience buying a rimfire for their younger kids?

Any help would be appreciated. I want to do a ton of shooting with both rim fire as well as the rifle he will use as an apprentice hunter next year.

Thanks
Fin

The Ruger 10/22 is always a good choice, only downside is that your kids are going to go through a lot more ammo. The bolt actions you mentioned are good choices too. If you're interested in a lever action, one of my sons got a Henry and it's a great little rifle as well. Browning also makes a BL-22 lever action that is a very nice rifle, but a bit spendy for a 22. There has always been at least one 10/22 in our house.

Buy a bolt action, most of the newer autos are not that good. I bought our boys Remington model 597’s. That was a mistake.

I also agree. Get him a bolt action. CZ makes a very nice 22 also.
The only probleim with the CZ is that after you shoot it you might not want to give it back to your kids. :) In my opinion, bolt actions are the only way to go with new shooters. As stated above, having a live round in the chamber right after shooting is an accident waiting to happen. Plus, it is easier to feed one round at a time in a bolt action.

I have a Ruger American with the wood stock, highly recommend for the money. The open sights were ok, but the Leupold rimfire made it much better for me!

Ruger 10-22 stocks are easy to find and not expensive so cutting one to the proper size for a child and later replacing it would be a reasonable option. Many fellows replace their factory stocks and sell the original inexpensively.

If for plinking I would go 10/22 without hesitation. If working up to hunting caliber I would go with .223 bolt action in a compact stock. Little recoil, but good enough for prairie dogs and coyotes for many years. Then when ready grab a 7mm08 and his is set until he wants to hunt Bison or Brown Bear.

I started with a Marlin 880 bolt gun and I’d recommend a quality bolt gun for sure. I think with bolt actions you have more learning that will be applicable later (magazine handling, motor memory of working the bolt) once he graduates to big game, a higher safety factor, and will encourage more deliberate shooting.

I'd get him a lever action. every kid needs a cowboy gun.

1022s are ok ,if your goal is to throw lead everywhere. personally ,I'd rather my kid learned to throw lead accurately.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back