Which 22lr for 10yr old?

I'd get him a lever action. every kid needs a cowboy gun.

1022s are ok ,if your goal is to throw lead everywhere. personally ,I'd rather my kid learned to throw lead accurately.
Ever shot a 10/22? They don't just "throw lead everywhere". mtmuley

I wouldn't go the 10/22 route at 10 yrs old. A used Marlin Model 80 bolt gun with the microgroove rifling and a 4 X scope off of a certain online firearm broker auction site will be hugely inexpensive but by no means a cheap gun, and will last a lifetime and outshoot most.

Edit: That was not to say that 10/22s are bad or a 10 year old isn't responsible... more that I own both and I was also a kid once. The Model 80 is a rifle. The (unmodified) 10/22 is akin to a toy to me, albeit a serious one. I would want my kid to know they are handling a capable and accurate weapon, every shot thoughtful and considered. Model 80 fits that bill. The 10/22 is damn fun and easy to shoot (a lot). Of course I (an adult) use it safely, but I can never seem to take it seriously as a rifle.

Last edited:

1022s are ok ,if your goal is to throw lead everywhere. personally ,I'd rather my kid learned to throw lead accurately.
Also get off your lawn?

Ever shot a 10/22? They don't just "throw lead everywhere". mtmuley
yep. had one once . never would agin

it was accurate ,i'll give you that , IF the shooter even bothers to aim. it jammed a lot . plus they just aren't cool like a lever gun 😁

also ,I've heard tell, women don't like guys who shoot fast. 🤔

I really like my 77/17 as well; if I had bought it instead of inheriting it, it would be a 22lr. The trigger sucks but it's only a Timney away.
I have a boat paddle version. You can stone the trigger pretty easily. I love mine, it still shots well almost 30 years later.

yep. had one once . never would agin

it was accurate ,i'll give you that , IF the shooter even bothers to aim. it jammed a lot . plus they just aren't cool like a lever gun 😁

also ,I've heard tell, women don't like guys who shoot fast. 🤔
SMH. mtmuley

I got a Ruger American Rimfire for about $180 last Black Friday. I was saving for a CZ, but I'm glad I saved the money. It shoots dime sized groups at 50yds with quality ammo. Couldn't be happier.

I'd agree with this on so many counts. An appreciation for traditional rifles is always nice, but the need to chamber a round for another shot is a good one for a youngster that may not have the best muzzle control. I don't think autoloaders are a great starter gun for anyone, regardless of age.

The old pump guns made by Remington and Winchester are mighty fine choices as well. I was fortunate to have an 1890 Winchester and a 722 H&A as my first rifles.

A 1022? Never.

My oldest is turning 10 soon and I would like to replace his small single shot 22 with a new rifle for his birthday. I am looking for recommendations on what to look at. I was thinking a Ruger American or possibly a 10/22, maybe even the new Tikka T1.

Any good options I’m overlooking, Anyone have experience buying a rimfire for their younger kids?

Any help would be appreciated. I want to do a ton of shooting with both rim fire as well as the rifle he will use as an apprentice hunter next year.

Thanks
Fin

Every American needs a 10/22.
Want him to be the coolest? Make it a takedown.

I purchased my son a Ruger stainless 77 22 when he was 10. I wanted him to learn how to shoot and make each shot count. He is now teaching his sons to shoot with that Ruger 77. We shot a lot of rabbits and squirrels to start out and I think starting him on a nice bolt gun made him a much better rifle shot once he started hunting deer. When we went rabbit hunting we only took one gun, his 77.

I did go cheap on the scope with a $75 2-7 Simmons. That scope never changed point of impact for almost 30 years. He only had to adjust it for different types of ammo. He finally upgraded it last year. It was not nearly as clear as any of our Leupolds but it was always dead on.

I vote for a bolt gun of some sort. I'm partial to Marlins as I received a Marlin 880 for my birthday when I was 11 or 12. I still have it some 25+ years later. The stock is dinged, its got a little rust, and mostly stays in the back hall closet these days waiting for a raccoon to get into the chickens. But when I take the old girl out, she still shoots as good as the day I got her (maybe better because I've gotten better and this rifle was a large part of that). She's accounted for a few squirrels, a couple dozen raccoons and possums, and hundreds of tin cans.

As many have said here, go with a bolt. They are much safer for a kid to learn on and are not nearly as hard on ammo! A kid can get a habit of shooting pretty quickly, without great procedures, when an auto-loader is involved. That being said, if you are going to go that route, the 10-22 is real hard to beat.

I didn't grow up in a hunting family. Sixty some years ago my Dad gave me my first rifle, a Remington Model 514 single shot bolt action, and he enrolled me in a local indoor shooting range to learn how to shoot it. When I was in college I "upgraded" to a Remington Model 512 with a tubular magazine. That rifle put quite a few rabbits and pigeons in the pot.

I'm primarily a bolt action guy, and about 20 years ago I upgraded again with a Remington Model 541-T and I lengthened its stock to the same as my centerfire hunting rifles, and it provides excellent, cheap practice shooting field positions for hunting.

I have shot several different brands but my favorite by a landslide has been my CZ 452 love that little bolt action and highly accurate for the price.

CZ bolt in a wood stock would be my vote. 10/22 are great guns, have shot many bricks thru one, but like others have said a bolt might be a good choice for a 10yo

Anything which requires the shooter to consciously chamber the next round would be preferred over any autoloader for me. Bolt would be low on my personal taste list, but it would certainly fit the need. Levers, pumps would be my first choices.

17 years ago, 10yo me wanted a .22 and Dad said I had to work for it. I saved up $100 and got a savage mk2 with open sights and 4x15 scope. It's probably got 20-30k through it, some of the blueing is gone, and the stock has plenty of battle scars from a young man chasing tree rats, and even he threw that crap scope away. My advice is get something that he can be hard on and possibly replicate whatever big game rifle you start him with. Both the American Rimfire and Tikka have centerfire big brothers for when the time comes.

Back