Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Which 22lr for 10yr old?

MT_Fin

My oldest is turning 10 soon and I would like to replace his small single shot 22 with a new rifle for his birthday. I am looking for recommendations on what to look at. I was thinking a Ruger American or possibly a 10/22, maybe even the new Tikka T1.

Any good options I’m overlooking, Anyone have experience buying a rimfire for their younger kids?

Any help would be appreciated. I want to do a ton of shooting with both rim fire as well as the rifle he will use as an apprentice hunter next year.

Thanks
Fin

The Ruger 10/22 is always a good choice, only downside is that your kids are going to go through a lot more ammo. The bolt actions you mentioned are good choices too. If you're interested in a lever action, one of my sons got a Henry and it's a great little rifle as well. Browning also makes a BL-22 lever action that is a very nice rifle, but a bit spendy for a 22. There has always been at least one 10/22 in our house.

Buy a bolt action, most of the newer autos are not that good. I bought our boys Remington model 597’s. That was a mistake.

I also agree. Get him a bolt action. CZ makes a very nice 22 also.
The only probleim with the CZ is that after you shoot it you might not want to give it back to your kids. :) In my opinion, bolt actions are the only way to go with new shooters. As stated above, having a live round in the chamber right after shooting is an accident waiting to happen. Plus, it is easier to feed one round at a time in a bolt action.

I have a Ruger American with the wood stock, highly recommend for the money. The open sights were ok, but the Leupold rimfire made it much better for me!

Ruger 10-22 stocks are easy to find and not expensive so cutting one to the proper size for a child and later replacing it would be a reasonable option. Many fellows replace their factory stocks and sell the original inexpensively.

If for plinking I would go 10/22 without hesitation. If working up to hunting caliber I would go with .223 bolt action in a compact stock. Little recoil, but good enough for prairie dogs and coyotes for many years. Then when ready grab a 7mm08 and his is set until he wants to hunt Bison or Brown Bear.

I started with a Marlin 880 bolt gun and I’d recommend a quality bolt gun for sure. I think with bolt actions you have more learning that will be applicable later (magazine handling, motor memory of working the bolt) once he graduates to big game, a higher safety factor, and will encourage more deliberate shooting.

I'd get him a lever action. every kid needs a cowboy gun.

1022s are ok ,if your goal is to throw lead everywhere. personally ,I'd rather my kid learned to throw lead accurately.

Back