Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

where?

DAVIDKERR

we have been to sd on a commercial farm for a couple years and it was great but it is time for an on your own adventure. where should we go for good upland hunting on public land?we have dogs but not a lot of dogs and not the worlds best dogs either.thanks

I don't personally have any hotspots, but on Hwy 183 south of the Fort Pierre National Grasslands, we saw at least a thousand of them on the road one morning. Try finding some public land around there, or maybe even try the Grasslands

The suggestion by beagle isn't a bad one! When I hunted Pierre NG we were more after greater prairie chickens than pheasants, but we did find both along with sharptails. You probably won't put up the number of birds you would on a commercial operation, but it was a FUN hunt.

Our first day there...

Another that I would suggest would be south central Idaho. Lots of public land and with a bit of research you can find a variety of species there. Sage grouse, huns, chukar, sharptails can be found in the grasslands and sage hills. Both blues and ruffed in the mountains and pheasants near the ag fields.

thanks guys.my cousin goes to the nat grasslands x pierre.i will ask him for more info.

we have been to sd on a commercial farm for a couple years and it was great but it is time for an on your own adventure. where should we go for good upland hunting on public land?we have dogs but not a lot of dogs and not the worlds best dogs either.thanks

Oh come on, pouring through the interwebs, maps, and books is half the fun. Plus it depends on what you're after. Pheasants? Grouse (ruffed, dusky, sooty, sharptail, chickens, Columbian sharpies?), Quail? Partridge?

You've got all spring and summer to whip (not literally) those dogs into shape and coach them up too.

Back