Where would you move?

Philippides

Hey there. I wanted to ask for recommendations on where to permanently put down roots.

Background. I just started retirement vacation from the Army, my family and I are in Bozeman hanging out for the summer (hoping to bump into Randy at Walmart!). All our stuff is in storage. I'm going to start a remote job shortly (with 1-2x p/ month travel in the US/overseas) but can live wherever.

Requirement.
-I'd like to live by a larger airport to make travel less painful. Wish we could stay in Bozeman, but the flight connections would be rough.
-We want to have hunting/fishing/hiking close by.

Welcome your thoughts/ideas. Thanks guys.

If you can afford it, and if you don't mind a pretty large city, it would be hard to beat the Denver area. I grew up there. It has grown and changed a lot in the past few years, but it remains a beautiful place close to some world-class outdoor activities. The airport is one of the main airline hubs in the country.

Boise, Idaho, would be the top of my list for a city with decent airline service. It is more affordable than Denver. Spokane would also be a great choice in that part of the country.

Spokane has some direct flights. Most often you are connecting through Seattle, SLC, or Denver. I live 90 miles from Spokane in Idaho and this has worked for me traveling for business.
I'm hourly, so I'm on the clock from driveway to hotel bed. That eases the pain some. I sit in airport bars and write triggered HT posts.

I have never had a weather related delay leaving from there. I have missed personal flights due to driving conditions and leaving home too late. That may be something for the @Big Fin marital advice thread. ;)

If year round climate is not an issue for your family then Laramie, WY would be my permanent stop. Small college town (large town by WY standards) with most everything one wants to do within a short distance and It’s a short drive over to Denver for flights. If climate were an issue the greater Phoenix (not in the city) area would be on my list. Something out towards the rim, probably below it i.e. Payson, or possibly above it i.e. show low.

Background. I just started retirement vacation from the Army, my family and I are in Bozeman hanging out for the summer (hoping to bump into Randy at Walmart!). All our stuff is in storage. I'm going to start a remote job shortly (with 1-2x p/ month travel in the US/overseas) but can live wherever.

Congrats on the retirement!

11 Sept 2032... I'm not counting or anything...

Edit: Spend that pension monies on draws, draws and more draws!

If year round climate is not an issue for your family then Laramie, WY would be my permanent stop. Small college town (large town by WY standards) with most everything one wants to do within a short distance and It’s a short drive over to Denver for flights. If climate were an issue the greater Phoenix (not in the city) area would be on my list. Something out towards the rim, probably below it i.e. Payson, or possibly above it i.e. show low.

We've really looked at Laramie. We don't know if we are good for the brutal winter but its taxes and outdoor opportunities might make it worth it.

I see several mentions of spokane. I have to disagree. Not only is spokane a dirty nasty city, but washington has about the worst game management and hunting opportunities in the west outside of california. I live in stevens county and am wracking my brain trying to figure out a way to move to the idaho panhandle before im too old to make the most of it. I know, the grass is always greener on the other side, but spokane does suck, and wdfw sucks twice.

Boise and Phoenix would be on my short list

Downvote for Denver...lived there
There are many things I’m going to miss about CO but Denver is not one of them. The city blows, no green space, traffic is horrific, all the outdoor spaces are packed. Food/ restaurants are mediocre at best. Though there are some awesome options in Aurora. Traffic pre covid was so bad that it’s probably easier to live in Dallas and fly into mountain towns in CO then to drive up from Denver.

I've spent a lot of time on the Rim north of Phoenix. Nice but I wouldn't put it in the same class as some of the other places mentioned. Phoenix is big, parched, barren, and hot. Salt Lake City has the best skiing of the cities mentioned, if that's relevant to you, and has a mild climate. There is good trout fishing close by and it's close to the national parks and red rock country of Southern Utah and four hours from Yellowstone. If you want to be within striking distance of the SLC airport, consider Star Valley in Wyoming though it has cold winters. In Utah, Heber, Eden and Morgan are all nice towns in the mountains, an hour from the airport, and have great fishing. SLC area waterfowl hunting would be hard to beat close to a western metro area.

Congrats on the retirement!

11 Sept 2032... I'm not counting or anything...

Edit: Spend that pension monies on draws, draws and more draws!

Congrats on retirement and terminal leave.

My pension money will go to llamas! Extend the hunting life of a beat down back!

Phoenix is on our list but we don't mind the heat. Dream would be land near Flagstaff/Prescott with a place for the RV to hide out in summers. I would prefer Colorado but even that may be too cold for the wife.

I didn't mean living in the Denver city limits. Anywhere on the front range from CO Springs up to Ft Collins would be nice in my opinion. Of course there are some bad spots and weird areas. I grew up there, which means I'm biased, but I would choose Denver over Phoenix or Salt Lake City. I couldn't afford to move back if I wanted to, though.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back