Where to start?

1_pointer

I am going to try to call in some coyotes this fall and winter. Where do I start, as in how do you pick out a good area?

That is a good question, but is still a little broad. A "good" area to me is one that has coyotes in it, evident by either droppings, tracks, visual sightings by landowner, or response to locator type howls.

A good set/stand is one to where you have the advantages of the sun, wind, and cover. And the perfect set/stand adds in some cover for the coyote to come to the call in yet with some open before the coyote can get to the "bust ya" spot.

When you get these found they are the honey holes. But spots are not always like this, which is what makes this fun.

later pup

Where the heck is Clinton Utah?
If its around Salt lake I would head towards Wendover and hunt all those rolling valleys about 20 miles on the interstate.
Another good coyote area is around the town, usually a 10 mile radius ,coyotes love suburbia, any ranchers you know could also turn you on to some good areas and appreciate
you willing to tip some over, but its best to introduce yourself and visit with them for awhile, get to know them a little bit, common courtesy,
Nice thing about that is you can have a friend for life!Just my opinion!
Good luck on your venture and hope you call some in.

There is good hunting on public land but the best hunting will be found on the private ranch ground. Talking with the ranchers and farmers will increse your hunting oppertunitys and you will make some damn good friends.

Most ranchers will tell you where they are seeing and hearing coyotes and they know their property a hell of a lot better than you. Once they point you in the right direction some scouting is in order. It also will help you to know the land.

If you are going to hunt public lands, scouting will help you more than anything. Locate with howling and by sight, once you are in an area that you know holds coyotes then you have to find stand locations. After that its time to put all this chit to work and Smote the Yote.

slydog

Thanks for the tips!!! Beings that I'm working for the BLM this summer maybe I'll get to meet a few people with problem coyotes.

I've seen a few kicking around and will have to check those areas out later in the year. There is no coyote season in UT, so when is it okay to start shooting for furs?

This is a debate in itself.

Mid to late Nov. will see them primed well most years, Oct, is good huntin but the fur won't be prime and you won't get good money for the pelt that if you waited 30 days would bring you good money.

sly

1_pointer

Start by finding habitat, then look for sign, I’m expecting a new Slydog Howler in the near future and if I know me I will have to go out and mess around a little.

Should I give you a ring?

Sure!! I'll be going to Logan on Monday, will you be free anytime on Monday if for nothing else than to just meet?

I will be at the shop from 8 a.m to 6 p.m I usually skip lunch. I will for sure Monday. I look forward to it.

1_pointer,

maybe you and Coldnosed can hook up and drive up here this fall and we can do some huntin, after all thats the best way to learn and there are so damn many coyotes up here that we can't help but call them in.

I also like to hunt with new people and trade ideas.

sly

Slydog

Sounds like a great time. I have only been to Boise a time or two and I spent most of my time in town. The whole time I was driving up there I wanted to pull over and let out a howl just to see if anything was moving.

I'll stop by CN! I'm game for a trip to the Boise area! I try to get up there and bother Moosie as much as possible. Even trying to talk him into showing me how to shoot a duck!

I gotta warn you two though, my 'varmint' rifle is a 30-06!!!
wink.gif
(smallest I have!)

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back