Where to sleep on a roadtrip???

jvanhoy

So in about 7 days and 2 hours we head West for archery elk. We normally drive straight through from VA. About a 28 hour drive. This year we are taking 2 trucks and only 2 people in each so we are planning on stopping for 5 or 6 hours to sleep. We will be somewhere mid Kansas. What do you suggest? Rest area, Walmart parking lot, truck stop? We thought about getting a room but I don't like the idea of all our hunting stuff in a unlocked camper top while we sleep. Is Kansas pretty safe along I70?

I prefer a rest area, sleeping in the truck. Tried the motel n shower halfway through a 34 hour drive. Still felt just as drained and worried the whole time about our gear. Be safe and have a good hunt....

Rest stops along I-70 tend to have a fair amount of big rigs overnighting in them, and the design of traffic flow would mean that there would be a constant stream of cars near where you are parked and trying to sleep. I would suggest the far reaches of a big shopping center to park and snooze as there should be less people moving about as you refresh and dream of big bulls.

Hays and Colby have big expansive parking lots at their Walmart stores. Both are just north of the interstate.

Rest stops along I-70 tend to have a fair amount of big rigs overnighting in them, and the design of traffic flow would mean that there would be a constant stream of cars near where you are parked and trying to sleep. I would suggest the far reaches of a big shopping center to park and snooze as there should be less people moving about as you refresh and dream of big bulls.

Hays and Colby have big expansive parking lots at their Walmart stores. Both are just north of the interstate.

Hays is about where i think we will be. Just wasn't sure how safe the area is. Thanks

I like a Wal-Mart parking lot. Open 24 hours, so can always go inside to use the restroom, brush teeth, etc. Usually quieter than a rest stop.

Many Walmart's and Cracker Barrel's allow overnights. I often look for where a big rig or more are stopped off a quiet ramp. I have never been told to move my rig when sleeping in it along an interstate or highway and I've done it more times than I can count. Of course I am usually just looking for a few hours rest then I'm on my way.

Man I am the opposite I prefer to pull over and get a room but I have always had my stuff locked up so that isn't a worry. I just don't sleep well in a car.

4 hours in a bed and a good shower is better than 6 hours of turd sleep for me. I normally drive hard enough that by the time I hit the rack I am out.

Man I am the opposite I prefer to pull over and get a room but I have always had my stuff locked up so that isn't a worry. I just don't sleep well in a car.

4 hours in a bed and a good shower is better than 6 hours of turd sleep for me. I normally drive hard enough that by the time I hit the rack I am out.

^^ Agree ^^

We joined the Hilton Honors club after a couple of instances of people tampering with our rigs in the past. Earn points while you stay and every other night is free (my buddy travels a lot). We reserve a room by phone after supper when we have a better idea where we'll be come night time and they have a reserved parking spot for us right in the front row - safe and secure, right in between a few Cadillacs and Mercedes. Makes for a good night's rest.

Unless we have the ponies with us, then it's fairground stalls (usually free) and top of the hay rack or Cabela's lot (some have corrals).

No more marathon drives or sleeping in the truck for me.
We drive daylight to dark, then grab a motel, bring the guns inside. Always prefer one with outside doors so we can park truck right outside for added peace of mind.
Have a locking topper and anytime we've pulled a trailer it has been lockable, no trouble yet.

My buddy likes to say ..... Let's find a bar with a motel in it :)

We usually find a nice rv campground with showers and just pitch a tent. The one we are staying in this year we have been to once before on our way to Wyoming it is very nice and only $10.

We put a futon mattress in the back of our vehicles with real sheets and blankets. I sleep better on that then in a motel.

We make the trip between CO and IN across I70 on the regular. We are always around Topeka to Bonner Springs when we stop and it is at one of the HI Express locations. Have to have a pool for the Hunting Princess :) What I can tell you is that if you are hungry around Salina eat here!! http://hickoryhut.com/ The place is the real deal and reasonably priced. A couple minutes off I 70 but well worth it. :)

It depends on the rest stop I guess but I need something with a little peace and quiet. Walmart marking lots aren't bad, just make sure you bring a mask or curtain or something to block out the parking lot lights and ear plugs. I agree with some others, I'm getting too old to sleep in the truck anymore. I'd sooner lock everything up and get a room. I often thought about having a conversion van or something with a bed in the back so I could sleep on the road.

Hays is relatively safe. That Walmart has good surveillance cameras also, If there would be issues. The Hays Walmart gets a fair amount of overnight traffic (people sleeping in their vehicles and campers).

If you plan to fill up your vehicles make sure to head south into Hays, the gas station northeast of I70 and Vine street is higher (30-40 cents) on their fuel.

Last edited:
If not stopping for a hotel, we usually just pick some deserted road and pull off a short distance from highway or road where noise level is acceptable. Never had a problem.

I'll often stop and pay $10 or so to camp at a state park or county fishing lake in KS. I figure it goes to a good cause and it's always real mellow. I often just sleep on a picnic table if the weather is good. Look at Wilson Lake SP, which is east of Hays. Get up in the morning, hit Hays for breakfast and you're on your way...

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like Hays it is. Now as long as the fire at Big red park stays in CO and don't close off our roads in southern WY we will be good to go.

I have done a few things on multi-day road trips for hunts.

Get a motel room that faces parking lot on first floor and only carry in day pack with tags, bin with optics and rifle/bow case.

Park in motel parking lot. Usually quiet 10pm-5am. I use ear plugs and eye patch, recline the seat, slide legs in sleeping bag if cold.

Pull off on gravel road then onto dirt road to side if in rural area between cities out West. Usually quiet 9pm-6am. If BLM, I sometimes pitch a small tent so can stretch out and not try the truck seat sleep. I also have packed most stuff in plastic tubs then set those on ground, cover with tarp, and I sleep in back of the SUV on sleeping pad. If am sleeping in SUV seat, I try to find a bit of incline so nose of SUV is raised a bit for more comfort. If get cold, I start the motor for a few minutes to get some heat going a couple of times overnight.

Rest stops and restaurant lots are noisy so even with ear plugs and eye patch I mostly only get some cat naps in. Is handy having bathroom nearby and warm food in some cases.

Couple of times a buddy lived at a stopping point and that is great other than if are chatting way too late into the night.

I have a popup topper on my pickup-takes what? couple minutes to get er ready for some sleep time.
I have stayed at everything mentioned and here and there.
I have a couple US Army Rangers Veteran stickers and NRA Sticker, so let them know you r a hunter. You don,t have to be a vet, my point, have some indication your a hunter, so why? would anybody mess with you?
For me, never a problem, don't worry a bit and sleep well wherever.

Back