MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Where to plan an Elk Hunt?

tonto

I have hunted Mule deer for many years and finally want to plan an Elk hunt. Unfortunately the areas that I have been hunting Mule deer in are not Elk zones so, I need to find a place to hunt Elk. I have a group of 6 planning on going hopefully next year. My groups consists of 3 dads each with a son, none of which have ever hunted Elk. So my question is; where presents us a "good" opportunity to get an Elk? We are going to go with the OTC tag option. Really for us Dads its mostly about getting out in the mountains and perhaps getting our kids onto some Elk. We are not set on any certain state really, it could be Montana, Wyoming or Colorado. I suppose. We just want the best bang for our buck. Any help would be appreciated.

Colorado OTC tags in the area of the White River Herd are a pretty good deal and that covers a large area to work to narrow down.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but I'm also looking for the same information. Three of us PA boys are looking to head out west to do our first Elk hunt and western hunt next fall. We're looking Colorado, Idaho, and Montana. I know Colorado has easy OTC tags and numerous elk, but it also has numerous hunters as well. In Montana if we are striking out on Elk, but see deer we could take a deer on the elk/deer combo tag. That also comes with added expense though compared to Colorado. I think there are also possibilities at multiple species in Idaho as well, but I have just started to research there. As with the original poster, we are trying to get our best bang for the buck and maybe a chance at multiple species to increase our success rates. We are looking at rifle hunting... What are your guys recommendations?

I need to find a place to hunt Elk.

Not trying to hijack the thread,

Perhaps you guys could sit down and go through all the elk hunting threads on here, build a picture of what it takes to get it done, look at the terrain in the photos, read the hunt reports, try to think about your capabilities and what you want out of the hunt and then start narrowing down states within your budgets. From there you can research a lot of information on the fish and game websites, harvest stats, age classes, public land/access, etc etc, and then when you have narrowed down a few units/zones within a state you feel best suits you do some work with maps and google earth and pin point access, terrain, camping areas, talk to biologists and get a feel for what your up against and what is required to get it done.

Then maybe when you have done the legwork and the hard yards, start a new thread about unit x in regards to these basins/catchments etc and maybe you might get some replies from people, good or bad who have been in there. But even then, the best advice i can give is do the research, put boots on ground and give it a go, nothing is better learnt then from your own sweat and effort.

oh yeah, welcome to the forum

ps, have you thought about contributing a few hunt reports and sharing specific information on your previous mule deer hunts so others can learn? Everybody is very quick to ask for information, but the hunt reports section can always do with good accounts of guys hunts.

Welcome aboard, try contributing with an opening statement. Talk to some Division of Wildlife people. Pick a state and gather as much information as possible. You wont get a combo for deer in Colorado unless you first draw (or buy a voucher) for a deer tag. If you want a combo hunt, I would go to Montana. Check to see how many tags are left. Good luck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back