Where to invest: tent or bag?

Stagg412

I've been researching tents for hours on end in prep for future backpack hunts, but then realized I might be looking in the wrong place for optimal comfort at base camp (not up for bivying just yet), and I should really be worried about a high quality sleeping bag and pad.

Basically it seems to me that as long a tent keeps me and gear dry, gives all 6'4 of me room to stretch out, and packs light that I can get away with spending less here and more on a really good bag and pad. Is this incorrect thinking?

What benefits do the more expensive tents like Big Agnes, which is my current preference, have that justify the price point when there are likely serviceable options for less. I'm not trying to skimp, but want to budget appropriately.

I'm talking about early and mid-season hunts, so this question doesn't apply to preparing for extreme late-season conditions. I'll be up a tree back here in PA from Nov-Jan.

Thanks!

I've been on some damned cold elk hunts in September and October.

You are on the right track though. My tent keeps the rain and snow out, my sleeping bag keeps me warm. I've slept outside in a good down sleeping bag and it kept me warm and cozy, even when it was cold enough to leave frost on the outside of the bag.

More expensive tents are typically lighter and more durable than the cheaper options, but they will not make up for the heat you lose in a crummy sleeping bag. I tried the budget sleeping bag and pad thing, and it's not worth it, buy a good sleep system. If you really want to be comfy in your base camp, buy a big heavy low-temp rectangular bag and a good pad, then put them on a cot.

No way I would skimp on a sleeping bag or pad. Primo tent saves you ounces, but more importantly saves you money over time. You can buy a cheap tent and it will wear out after a number of uses, then you have to buy another one. I bought a used Hennesey hammock and have got maybe 225 nights out of it and it's still in great shape.

I've been using the same $100, 2-man Kelty tent for the past 20 years. A college roommate of mine bought it and set it up in the yard, then 20 minutes later my 4-mo old golden retreiver puppy crawled in through the front door and went out the back through the mesh vent. I've owned it ever since, ripped back end and all. I've never had a complaint, and it works as good today as it did 20 years ago. I'd definately put my money towards a sleeping bag/pad before the tent.

Start close to your body and work out when you are adding value...

You will feel an an extra $200 better in the bag...

Tent value is in 1) poles 2) weight 3) Breath-ability

Like others have said, your tent will keep the weather off you, your bag will keep you warm. Personally, I've never owned a tent that I had to pay much for, but I wouldn't skimp on a sleeping bag.

I like the Kelty Salida 2 https://www.amazon.com/Kelty-Salida...argid=aud-801381245258:pla-310294688297&psc=1

It is about 4 pounds packed, but has a good amount of space and a vestibule for a 2 man for $100. Takes about 2 minutes to set up. I use it as a car camping tent as well.

Had mine for around 5 years. Have bought other tents, but have kept on coming back.

If I am going to car camp for a week, then I will take the salida as a sleep tent and use the other tent as a hang out spot.

Like others have said go bag and pad first. Of those I would go pad first, a good nights sleep is a direct result of a good pad.

Plus 1 for the Kelty Salida 2. I've had it for 4-5 years, packed it in plenty of miles, and rode out some rough storms in it. Great tent, especially for the money. I will say I'm 6'4" as well, and do have to sleep catty corner in it though.

My backpacking tent is actually a one-man Ozark Trail. I kid u not.

So is mine. lol. My Big Agnes sleeping pad cost almost triple what my backpacking tent did. The sleeping pad was worth every penny, and I would not trade it for a better tent. That said, I sleep in a Eureka 2-man when I’m close to the truck and plan to be there for a few days.

My backpacking tent is actually a one-man Ozark Trail. I kid u not.

I used this tent for years. It was like $40 at Walmart and used a trekking pole. I just realized how similar it is to my $200 Black Diamond tent I bought this year. It weighs half what the walmart tent did but offers little other features.

I'd rather have a quality down bag, thermarest pad, and a tarp than a Hilleberg and a Walmart bag.

Things can get really cold in Oct. I'd go with a very good pad and bag first, but I'd probably go with a 4 season tent a very close second.

California guy here, so I really have no idea what your early season is, and what kind of weather that entails. Would be a good thing to know for suggestions.

Given that you say the weather isn't extreme, I'm giving a suggestion on Temps no lower than 50 at night, with occasional rain. Money first on a good pad, sleeping bag if you have anything left. Even a budget synthetic bag, though bulky, will keep you warm. A cheap pad can be either uncomfortable or not constructed well and can lead to failure. A leaking pad will ruin your night. A pad that doesn't insulate well can also rob you of warmth very quickly.

Used bags can be had pretty cheap, if you don't mind wearing someone else's sweat, but you're out hunting anyway, so it's just "icky".

Thanks for all the input! Seems the consensus is on pad and bag, which I kinda figured. So what brands and weights do people really like? I highly doubt I'll ever need it for extended sub-zero camp outs, but want to be prepared for anything from cool nights (40s-50s) to 20s and teens. I also value durability and will trade a couple ozs for a better night's sleep.

Thanks for all the input! Seems the consensus is on pad and bag, which I kinda figured. So what brands and weights do people really like? I highly doubt I'll ever need it for extended sub-zero camp outs, but want to be prepared for anything from cool nights (40s-50s) to 20s and teens. I also value durability and will trade a couple ozs for a better night's sleep.
I use a 15 degree Kelty with 650 down fill with a mountain hardwear compression sack, and thermarest z-rest. I wouldn't hesitate to bring that set up for the conditions you described. Total cost was about 200 with the bag being a 50% off sale. Main advantages are its a light set up that takes up little space. Plenty durable and comfortable for me, as long as I am not super skinny, in which case I'd bring a thicker pad.

I should add that the set up sleeps cozy down to about 35, and lower than that I wear clean clothes to bed, but 15 degrees is the lower limit of comfort when wearing layers. To have some extra insurance I would suggest buying a 10 degree bag and also bring a foil emergency blanket for an unexpected cold snap, and you can cover your bag in this for a little extra warmth.

Agreed with the advice to invest heavier in pad + bag.
I use a down Big Agnes UL Mystic 15 and like it. If I lived/hunted in soggier climate (PNW),I’d go with a Kifaru Slick bag vs down. Otherwise, and if I had the coin, it would be Western Mountaineering. Good luck

Back