Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Where to hunt wolves.

Actual hunting harvest is more like .71 percent. Yes, just a Hair over a half percent.

Montana 2021-2022 License Year Wolf Harvest Report

Total hunting 148, trapping 125, total 273

Wolf Hunters & Trappers
• 20,828 total wolf licenses sold
• 17,190 residents
• 3,038 non-residents
• $339,338 in license sales
• 256 wolves harvested by residents
• 17 wolves harvested by non-residents
Wolf Hunting
• 96 hunters took 1 wolf (4 archery hunters)
• 11 hunters took 2 wolves
• 2 hunters took 3 wolves
• 1 hunter took 4 wolves
• 2 hunters took 5 wolves
• 1 hunter took 10 wolves
Wolf Trapping
• 32 trappers took 1 wolf
• 17 trappers took 2 wolves
• 4 trappers took 3 wolves
• 5 trappers took 4 wolves
• 1 trapper took 5 wolves
• 1 trapper took 6 wolves
• 2 trappers took 8 wolves
Land Ownership of Harvest Locations
• 58.3% Federal
• 5.5% State
• 36.2% Private

But here's a little inspiration...... :)

View attachment 271431

View attachment 271432

View attachment 271433
Same hunter took 10 this year again.

Same hunter took 10 this year again.
If they were all actually taken by hunting (not in combination with trapping.), I would certainly love to know the details of how he does it. Just a guess, but something tells me It probably involves private property and setting up on dead livestock.

If they were all actually taken by hunting (not in combination with trapping.), I would certainly love to know the details of how he does it. Just a guess, but something tells me It probably involves private property and setting up on dead livestock.
Nope no trapping, and as far as I know all on public. He thinned the pack year before last where I hunt whitetails.

Spends a ton of time, persistent, and a good hunter in general.

Nope no trapping, and as far as I know all on public. He thinned the pack year before last where I hunt whitetails.
How many days a year does he go at it? Seriously impressive to say the least

If he killed 10 with a rifle, he is spending a ton of time wolf hunting. That many wolves doesn't leave time for much else. mtmuley
Yeah it’s damn impressive. 50-60 days per wolf would be closer to a normal number. That doesn’t get you to 10 in a season.

The guy is a good friend of mine and I have pics of nearly all of them. I'd like to take a little bit of credit since I reload for him. 😂 He's filled every tag he's been able to buy since they started issuing tags and I'm pretty sure every one has been on property accessible to anybody. He's an incredible hunter and has just flat figured out how to hunt them but his drive and dedication is what sets him apart. He goes out nearly every day looking for tracks and listening for howls.

I had lots of opportunities to shoot them when hunting moose here. Only towards the end was it legal to hunt wolves. Most guys shot them anyway. I passed. Not my thing. I will shoot one in Montana if I see one but not interested in hunting for them. Or bears.

I was on POW Island for spring black bear and in a short time I seen wolves on 2 occasions and would have gladly used my bear tag on one if wolf was in season. Deer on POW are declining because of so many wolves.
The tip of the Alaska Peninsula has a no closed season, 10 per day limit, and no permit required even for non-residents.
While I was on Cold Bay I saw lots of tracks.

I had lots of opportunities to shoot them when hunting moose here. Only towards the end was it legal to hunt wolves. Most guys shot them anyway. I passed. Not my thing. I will shoot one in Montana if I see one but not interested in hunting for them. Or bears.
You really must try black bear pepperoni or sausage !!!
alpine bears, NOT garbage/dump bears or fish eaters.DSCF0016.JPG

I killed a Blackie in Arizona that was feeding on acorns and he was delicious.
I killed a Blackie in Coastal Alaska and it was horrible. I'll never kill another coastal bear.
So a fish diet makes there meat taste bad?

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heddenbk
Back