Where do your priorities lie? A (minor) reloading dilemma...

I'm having some promising results working on a practice load for my 7mm-08. Currently using Varget and 139 grain SST's. At this point, I've got three charge weights that might be worth pursuing. Given the following data, which would you go after?

40 grains @2.8": 5/8" group at 100, ES is 32 fps POI is 1" higher than hunting load (at 100 yards)

40.5 grains @2.8": 15/16" group at 100, ES is 11 fps POI is 1" higher, 1.5" right than hunting load

41 grains @ 2.8": 1.25" group at 100**, ES is 22 fps POI is basically the same as hunting load
** This group contained a called flier. Pretty sure it could be under an inch. **

Velocities are all ok; slower than the hunting load, but ranging from just under 2700fps - 2740fps. I'd be ok with these and all have the potential to go up with COAL tweaking.

Sooo.... lot's of factors to consider for a practice round. Group size, ES, POI... half of me wants to just re-test all 3 and see if one jumps out, while the other half wants to be judicious with my components and focus on one of them. This is a practice round and would rarely be fired more than 300 yards. What would you do?
At < 300 yards none of it really matters. And with only 3 shot each you have NO WAY to know which combination will result in tightest group or lowest ES/SD.

I've killed an awful lot of stuff with guns that didn't shoot that well. You only have to be able to hit the target. Solid repeatability is more important than fine groups. Just shoot it.

Example 1: My first deer rifle was a lever 30/30. I used factory ammo for years. I killed a couple truckloads like that. The gun now has a handload matched to it and outshoots what you have there, but I'd take the same shots either way.

Example 2: I was real short on time with a new barrel on a .260. I ran up a load that was just shy of 2". I think it was like 2 days before a hunt. I set to killing and sort of forgot about how bad the load was for a few years. I eventually got around to correcting the issue. It made no practical difference.

I test loads with three shot groups. Not sure any animal will stand still and let you shoot even three shot at it. Then again if it does, you need to practice your shooting! Wonder how hot a barrel is after a ten shot group?

I have a 26 nosler I had built that has shot a 3 shot group that nobody would believe. It’s a solid 1.5” inch gun doesn’t wear a scope if anyone is interested. 3 shots doesn’t prove a whole lot.
I agree. I didn’t say that three shots proves a lot. I did say that multiple three shot groups can prove something. That of course assumes that you aren’t throwing out the bad groups.

I shoot 3, sometimes one more to 'pop the ratchet strap'. Sub minute (or half) at 100 is a requirement...gets me in the pie plate AT 3-400+ while I tremble and hyperventilate. I want the gun knowing what it can do...

I won’t tell anyone they need to test 10 shot groups but agree that the data in the OP is statistically insignificant to know which one is best. Especially if one just needs to hit 20”+ elk vitals.

Three groups of 40, 40.5, and 41 grains of varget are highly unlikely to all have repeatable true center of POI 1”+ apart from the other two groups.

Last edited:
I didn't address the "what would you do" question. I'd pick whichever load made sense to me (any of the example charges are probably fine), load 10 rounds and verify it shoots acceptably accurate for practice purposes, and proceed to shooting a bunch of that load for practice purposes and not give a second thought to 0.5 grain tweaks well below max powder charges amounting to any statistically relevant differences for your purpose.

Based on the data posted, i wouldn't expect that 10 round group to be sub MOA. If it's 1.5 MOA that's probably pretty good and a reasonable expectation for that rifle/ammo/shooter setup but I wouldn't be surprised if any/all of those 3 groups are closer to 2 MOA on average with 10 shots and that's fine too.

Last edited:
Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back