When will Wyoming set final tag numbers for 2013?

EBOLAVIRS

I thought it was in April sometime that they started setting the tag allotments for the upcoming season. Anyone know when it is or seen the numbers yet?

I found this on their website after some digging on the commission agendas:

"CHEYENNE - The April 25-26 meeting of the Wyoming Game and Fish Commission in Casper will focus on setting hunting seasons for big game for the coming fall. Seasons and license quotas for all big game species including wild bison will be established. In addition, the Commission will also set seasons for upland and early migratory birds, small game, and wild turkey for the fall 2013 and spring 2014 hunts.

In addition to setting seasons, the Commission will receive an update on proposed 2014-2015 fishing regulations andwill hear presentations on the Black Hills Gobbler Mortality Study, the Wyoming Mule Deer Initiative, and the recently completed elk hunter attitude survey."

I assume the bios have already made recommendations and this is just when things will get approved/formalized?

Thats correct, the tag number recommendations have already been set by the biologists and released to the public at numerous local meetings. The meetings take place across Wyoming and information regarding quotas are handed out ot the public.

Generally, in the SE and South Central Wyoming I'd expect lower tag numbers on deer and pronghorn with moderate increases in elk tag numbers, in particular type 6 cow/calf tags.

I saw very few pronghorn areas that had tag increases...most stayed the same or had lower quotas.

The commission could choose to adjust the quotas at the final meeting, but its pretty unlikely.

Last edited:
Anyone in the "know" care to share the unit quota's? Or where an out of stater can get the info on the internet? Any help is greatly appreciated.

As mentioned above, the Wyoming Game and Fish Commission meets this coming week to do a final on dates/quotas for all hunting licenses and areas. After that, it will take some time for the brainiacs running their web site to post them, and then they will still be declared "Tentative" because the Governor has to sign them to make them "law".
Sucks.
Every year we put up with the snail paced G&F to publish regs so we can know and plan that years hunt(s)!!
So . . . keep checking their website for further info.

On top of that, the non-resident drawings have come & gone. So if you didn't apply and draw . . it is my understanding that you are S.O.L. my friend. There may be some "leftover" tags come available but I'm not 100% sure.

Last edited:
Simply call the game dept and ask for the PDF files for the tentative seasons and they will connect you to the right people.

Simply call the game dept and ask for the PDF files for the tentative seasons and they will connect you to the right people.

Ok I called today and asked; The nice lady at the Wyoming Game and Fish Office in Laramie said the numbers have not been finalized yet. It maybe next week yet before they are.

KevinW---I sent them all to you in an email last week. Did it get kicked into your trash or something?

elk4lunch---You might want to look into things before blasting the G&F on the net! They take that time to do game census work in order to know the proper number of tags to be issued in each unit based on what can be taken from the herd without hurting it. You're also a little off in that the only NR draw so far was for elk. The deer and antelope application period ended on 3/15, but the draws won't be held until around the middle to third week of June with the results out before the end of the month. Leftover licenses will then go on sale on a first come first serve basis in July.

Last edited:
The Governor also doesn't have to sign them, but rather the President of the G&F Commission. Last year they were all signed and up on the G&F website about 4/26 or 4/27, so we're getting close.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back