Caribou Gear

When it is NOT the time to tell her you drew a tag.....

My wife loves it when I tell her what she should have done differently. I'd lead off with "if you didn't drive so fast you wouldn't have gotten a speeding ticket" she'll appreciate the advice so much that you should then be ok to tell her about your elk tag. Trust me.

My wife loves it when I tell her what she should have done differently. I'd lead off with "if you didn't drive so fast you wouldn't have gotten a speeding ticket" she'll appreciate the advice so much that you should then be ok to tell her about your elk tag. Trust me.
tumblr_n3f25ij20i1s141c3o1_r1_500.gifv

Just before I checked the draw results, I get the text "Just got a speeding ticket.... and the car is running poorly." As she is on the way for her second Vaccination...I think I will wait a few days...That is if I remember... :rolleyes:
You could in a sensitive manner ask if the car was running poorly because she couldn't outrun the police officer or if it ran poorly because it was going faster than the posted limit.

You can also just let her know, "I will look at the poor running car, drew an elk tag, and get it fixed for you."

Last edited:
Look on the bright side. This gives you a golden opportunity to mention it in passing. You know... something like... “Hahaha. That’s funny. I guess we all have our deficiencies. You have a lead foot. I draw elk tags. What can we do?”

I am lucky that I built up a LOT of credit over my working career. I did a lot of stuff, both military and civ, that sucked, I didn't like, was dangerous and uncomfortable but let me provide well for the family and allowed my wife to 1) Take a large amount of time off when the kids were young 2) Pursue what she wanted to do when she went back to work instead taking something just for the money and 3) Paid for her to finish her master's. I did all of this willingly and never complained or whined.....along with spending almost no money on myself during that period. When I first retired and started to take actual hunting trips she got a little mouthy about one of the trips. I calmly went over what I had done prior to retirement and that I was now going to be a little more "selfish" if you will. She had a good think about it and I think it clicked. I make sure that I am home for all important occasions (something that I often couldn't be before) and other than that I am free to schedule as I see fit.

Wait until a month before you go and then get into an argument about how you told her twice, but she never listens. Works
100% of the time.

This works well, especially since it's a long time between apps and draws so they usually forget what you applied for...

I made the mistake and told my wife I would only be going on two hunts this fall. Colorado Archery Elk (OTC) and Wyoming Elk since I anticipated drawing. Typically I go on 4 big trips each fall.
Well I found out yesterday I drew a Colorado deer tag, really wasn't expecting it, last year only small % drew at my point level and with the crazy point creep everyone was anticipating just didn't think it would happen. I told her last night and she said, "NO, you told me you were only going on two hunts this year." We have a 2 year old and a 4 month old, so I did plan to cut back for a year since it is hard with me being gone for over a month total in a couple month period. Needless to say, she is not thrilled, but once I explained that it was more luck than planned, she is good with it. Lesson learned, don't provide details on the plan until results come out.

If she comes home upset and is venting about the speeding ticket and the damn car, whatever you do, do NOT tell her to calm down. I've never done it personally but I sure have seen it go south and oddly enough the person doesn't calm down!! :0)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chamoy
Back