Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

When is enough, enough?

"opening up vast tracks of private land locked off to the public is the goal moving forward? "

I like where your head is at!

If I had my way, I'd make it retroactive to 1960 that if you ever killed a moose, sheep, or goat in Montana you couldn't apply again.

As I recall, Randy went with Vaughn Everly on a Montana sheep hunt several years ago, and one of Vaughn's concluding statements was that he will never apply for sheep again so someone else can enjoy that opportunity. Hunting is an incredibly personal thing and it allows people to make many decisions based on their own moral compass, but I would be shocked if every hunter on this forum didn't view that as an incredibly admirable thing to do (regardless of odds).

If I was as negative/miserable about hunting as you are I'd quit and find a new hobby.

Id bet my boots you'll be a happier person if you quit applying for any draw and just go and do something that no one controls but you.

So funny how Al Gore's internet allow for people to make and express strong opinions based on very small amounts of context.

FYI, if you go to the range here outside Bozeman and you see a guy with a huge smile, helping novices who might be struggling, and then sharing a lifetime of hunting/landscape knowledge with newbs, you are probably looking at bffybr.

As I recall, Randy went with Vaughn Everly on a Montana sheep hunt several years ago, and one of Vaughn's concluding statements was that he will never apply for sheep again so someone else can enjoy that opportunity. Hunting is an incredibly personal thing and it allows people to make many decisions based on their own moral compass, but I would be shocked if every hunter on this forum didn't view that as an incredibly admirable thing to do (regardless of odds).

Well, I don't even apply for any of those tags so what does that rate me? Really, really, really, admirable?

See, I can do math and realize the juice just is not worth the squeeze. I used to apply here in South Dakota, but a bunch of old guys who have already killed bulls, and goats, and sheep, and bison, got the old guys on the game and fish commission to cube our points. They claimed it was to make the deer draw more equitable, but we all know what it was really about.

"I've killed 3 bulls, a goat, a sheep, and 2 bison but I have all these points and I am OWED a tag. Change the rules to give me and mine better odds."

Now, license sales are down 26,000 and everyone has their puzzled looks on their faces like it's a mystery. When SDGFP spends millions to control native species so that pheasant populations increase and make drawing tags nearly impossible for young people it has an effect. It really does.

They chose who and what they favor by their regulations and efforts. Enjoy them, because they are who you get.

Well, I don't even apply for any of those tags so what does that rate me? Really, really, really, admirable?

See, I can do math and realize the juice just is not worth the squeeze. I used to apply here in South Dakota, but a bunch of old guys who have already killed bulls, and goats, and sheep, and bison, got the old guys on the game and fish commission to cube our points. They claimed it was to make the deer draw more equitable, but we all know what it was really about.

"I've killed 3 bulls, a goat, a sheep, and 2 bison but I have all these points and I am OWED a tag. Change the rules to give me and mine better odds."

Now, license sales are down 26,000 and everyone has their puzzled looks on their faces like it's a mystery. When SDGFP spends millions to control native species so that pheasant populations increase and make drawing tags nearly impossible for young people it has an effect. It really does.

They chose who and what they favor by their regulations and efforts. Enjoy them, because they are who you get.

That went right over your head, didn't it?

I've always enjoyed the planning and researching as much as the actual hunt. Sometimes my plans never come to fruition and sometimes they take decades. As a kid in high school I sent a letter ( late 70's ) to Izembek Refuge Alaska requesting info. I didn't make the trip until 2017.
View attachment 118086
Awesome that you stuck with the dream and made it happen after that long. Im learning people who seemingly “ get lucky “ in hunting are the ones who stick to the plan and the dream the most until it happens and then we call them lucky but they are just persistent till they succeed.

Back