When bad Ideas woork

gouch

We were duck hunting on my favorite reservoir and as usual the birds stopped flying after the first two hours. Three white fronts had landed on the opposite shore, we watched them and talked about them for about an hour. I decided that since normally whenever we shoot the birds on the water or shore fly and frequently fly over us. So, I will fire a shot and hope the geese fly this way. Fired a shot and nothing. So, I decided to pepper them with pellets. I saw the pellets fall in the water well short and well to the right because of the wind. So, I shot again with a higher arc and well to the left. Nothing. “OK I’m going to drop a rifled slug right in front of them and splatter them with mud.” Bad Idea. BOOM… It worked. Two of them flew. The third stayed put flopping around like a chicken with it’s head cut off. “Yah, that’s the one I was aiming for.”

Deer hunting with a friend but I don’t have a deer tag. So I’m packing a shotgun for grouse. I do have a bear tag so I have the first shot birdshot backed up by a rifled slug. That way if I get a quick shot on a bear I can just eject the first shell and shoot. Bad Idea. A big blue grouse flushes, I shoot and hit low. My bird hunting instinct kicks in and I fire another. I noticed the gun kicked a little hard and the bird seemed to blow up but it took a moment to realize what I had done. But hey, it worked, I got what was left of the grouse.

My first elk. Late season cow only bow hunt. We jumped a big herd and I watched them go down into a clearcut hell hole. But then they relaxed and started slowly angling back up. I knew there was a logging road on the ridge. So I took off running and got there just as the herd hit the top. Unfortunately, they saw me at the same time. They took off and I ran with them. Suddenly I saw two cows standing in an opening in the brush. They were line up one directly beyond the other 30 yards away. They were ready to bolt so I thought the first one will run as soon as I draw but the second can’t see me because the first ones head is blocking her view. So if the first stays I get her, if she bolts I get the second. Perfect plan or maybe a Bad Idea. I draw and the first one bolts. I shoot instinctive so there is no time spent aiming, just draw and release. The arrow flies at the exact time I see that the second cow is not broadside but rather facing away. Just a big peachy ass. My heart sunk until I walked up and saw the best blood trail I had ever seen. I got the femoral artery. Shear luck but it worked, I got my first elk.

I dont believe I'll be inviting you to share my camp.
Story #1: Reckless to shoot a slug on water, and probably illegal at watefowl.

Story#2 If you are that concernved about bear hunting, then carry the round seperate. You owe it to the bird to treat it better.

Story#3. Be sure of your target and beyond, which includes bodyposition.

These are all choices that were very poor, and just because there is a dead animal at the end of them does not mean they worked. I urge you to conisder the ethics and sportmans conduct you employ and lift them up.

I dont believe I'll be inviting you to share my camp.
Story #1: Reckless to shoot a slug on water, and probably illegal at watefowl.

Story#2 If you are that concernved about bear hunting, then carry the round seperate. You owe it to the bird to treat it better.

Story#3. Be sure of your target and beyond, which includes bodyposition.

These are all choices that were very poor, and just because there is a dead animal at the end of them does not mean they worked. I urge you to conisder the ethics and sportmans conduct you employ and lift them up.
I totally agree with you, 406LIFE.

So far I only read the first paragraph but you just admitted to shooting a migratory bird with a slug (presumably lead) but any which way is illegal in every state that I am aware of per fed migratoty bird laws pertaining to shot size. But let me keep reading..sounds entertaining.

Speechless... I strongly defend the second amendment but sometimes I read things like this and wonder. Maybe a IQ test or something..

What is it with waterfowl hunters from Oregon?

Is your name Clyde?

Sorry Inside joke from another forum someone might get it.

Last edited:
Your most recent bad idea was starting this thread. Of course that was three hours ago, who knows what you've done since.

Holy crap! I thought the post was going to end in a punchline of some kind. I hope to never hunt anywhere near you.

Speaking of bad ideas, found this on a different thread about drones...

"gouch

It is illegal in Oregon to use a drone to spot game and I wouldn't want to do it anyway. But I must admit that it would be a handy tool for hunting Roosevelt elk around here. Not too many places to sit on a high point and glass. you pretty much just have to crawl around in the brush and look for them. Thirty some years ago me and my hunting buddy were lazing around on a hot September bow hunt when we noticed a flock of ravens. Got us to thinking that one could catch a raven chick raise it up and train it to spot elk. It would fly around and when it spotted the elk it would circle and make a bunch of noise right over the herd then we could sneak in and shoot one. It would be legal as long as you had a permit to keep the bird and it wouldn't spook the elk. But nether one of us knew how to train a bird and of course you would have that nasty noisy bird around all the time. so we dropped the idea."

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back