When Are Horns...

I've been wondering this too.

I've been seeing some really nice bucks lately, but almost every single one has had weak prongs. Wasn't sure if that was the last of the growth, or a genetics thing for the area I'm in.

I saw a buck antelope in Oregon today that I believe had 6 inch prongs...15 inch horn length. Not enough mass to make 80, but I'm sure he was 76-78. The best antelope I've seen out there in the last 4 years.

They are probably growing for a couple more weeks.

They will stop growing until such time as they get shot in August, September, and October. Upon being shot, they grow like crazy for the first eight hours, followed by slower growth over the coming months thereafter, with growth even further diminishing in the years following.

In all but the rarest cases, growth usually stops when the hunter shoots one that is bigger than the buck in question.

Growth officially stops when an official measurer breaks out his tape, at which time bucks usually reverse their growth by shrinking significantly in the few minutes that elapses while on the scorers table.

Just a strange thing that happens. :rolleyes:

I hear tales that such post-mortem growth is not specific to antelope.

They will stop growing until such time as they get shot in August, September, and October. Upon being shot, they grow like crazy for the first eight hours, followed by slower growth over the coming months thereafter, with growth even further diminishing in the years following.

In all but the rarest cases, growth usually stops when the hunter shoots one that is bigger than the buck in question.

Growth officially stops when an official measurer breaks out his tape, at which time bucks usually reverse their growth by shrinking significantly in the few minutes that elapses while on the scorers table.

Ha! Usually 5 inches on Lope, 10-15 inches on mulies and 20-30 inches on bulls;)

Last edited:
I believe the upper roll of the horn and the prong are about as big as they should get at this time in june but there should still bee a little more height to grow up from the bases yet,,,from my understanding.maybe an inch or 2 more by the time hunting season comes{various factors}of course.

Busted a gut at Fins response. I believe Pat McManus wrote a couple stories about just such a phenomenon. As far as goats go - I believe they're pretty much done with their prong and mass above the prong by mid april and spend the rest of the summer below the prong. I believe they're about done by end of July when growth slooooows down. They never stop growing -albeit slowly - until they either transform into summer sausage or shed their sheeth. Typically shed in mid November in southern Wyoming where I have the privilege of watching big bucks all year long. - Cade. www.huntforeverwest.com

LMAO! So true, across the board for all animals and fish! Great response!

anybody know how the central wyoming antelope are doing this summer?will the drought or semi-drought in wyoming effect horn growth from july on?

Wont be any growth from July on...

I think all this drought talk is mostly BS as it relates to horn growth. From what I'm seeing the pronghorn are doing better than they have the last couple years, mainly due to a mild winter.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back