Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

What's your side hustle?

I have beef with people like you. I feel that people donate to good will, thrift stores, salvation army, etc. for the less fortunate and people who cant afford to buy new, not so people like you can wait in line before the doors open on days that they restock and snag up all the items with any value only to turn around and resell them for a profit.

Doesn't sit right with me.
In my experience, the main reason people donate things is not to help the under privileged, it’s to get rid of stuff without having to deal with the hassle of selling or hauling it to the dump.

And what if those less fortunate wanted to flip it and make a little extra cash, so that they are now less less-fortunate? Is it still a problem then?

Been making charcoal fueled camp chair heaters for a few years. Hasn't really been profitable yet but that should change this year as my processes improve and I add accessories. I had some carrying cases sewn up last year that they helped sales tremendously

IMG_1239.jpg

Been making charcoal fueled camp chair heaters for a few years. Hasn't really been profitable yet but that should change this year as my processes improve and I add accessories. I had some carrying cases sewn up last year that they helped sales tremendously

View attachment 321659
Where does the charcoal loaded honey heater go on the chair without burning or melting it? Do you just set it on the ground beneath your buttocks 😂.

Where does the charcoal loaded honey heater go on the chair without burning or melting it? Do you just set it on the ground beneath your buttocks 😂.

Yep goes right on the ground. Outside stays cool to the touch so you don't have to worry about killing the grass or anything like that. Sounds like a silly idea but I've yet to have someone sit in the chair and not have an instant smile on their face

That’s my guess. I’d never thought about this before last Thanksgiving. My wife and I were doing thanksgiving with her family at a campsite. It was pretty cold.

My BIL brought out a coal shovel and shoveled some coals under each of the camp chairs, and holy smokes did it make a difference!! I’m a big fan now.

Last edited:
My BIL brought out a coal shovel and shoveled some coals under each of the camp chairs, and holy smokes didn’t make a difference!! I’m a big fan now.

That's actually how I came across the idea. I was with some locals in AZ and they did the same. I was so blown away by it that I wanted to be able to do it anywhere.

Yep goes right on the ground. Outside stays cool to the touch so you don't have to worry about killing the grass or anything like that. Sounds like a silly idea but I've yet to have someone sit in the chair and not have an instant smile on their face
I thought vehicle seat warmers were silly until I had a vehicle with seat warmers, so I get were your coming from!

That's actually how I came across the idea. I was with some locals in AZ and they did the same. I was so blown away by it that I wanted to be able to do it anywhere.

Cowboys did this with their bedrolls.

Traditionally, this style of heating was very common during pre-colonial Japan as well. The old ways still kick ass, and keep them warm. Very cool!

Warm buns warm wife!!

I learned it in AZ also. I’m guessing they’re just wimps and can’t handle a little cold sitting around a fire. They called it a squirt

I've put a lot of thought in to doing the same, but can't get over the idea of trusting the general public to not destroy it.

Have you had good luck with it not getting beat to hell? To most people know how to use it properly?
Ive had more issues with the RV falling apart on its own then people destroying it. Ive had a handful of people cause minor damage to it, 90% of those events happened when people towed it themselves. Including...

One guy...
Scratching the sides on brush or trees - buffed out
Cooking with the glass stovetop cover down - replaced glass

Another guy...
Dragging the wiring harness - replaced
Leveling the trailer with stabilizing jacks - replaced bent arm

Kitchen table corner cracked from it falling while in bed mode - not the fault of the user, designed like $&?!.

Rv issues...
Oven dial imploded- replaced.
Fridge thermal fuse blew - replaced and built a custom baffle to prevent it. Fridge single cooling fan went bad - replaced with 2 computer fans.
Water heater went out due to faulty circuit board - all replaced.

I fixed almost all of those issues myself and none of its technically under warranty due to it being rented.

I live where I can and have time to deliver it to nearby campsites. I charge $10/mile to deliver and setup/take down, max 65 miles from home. Aim for $100/hour for my time and use of equipment.

So best thing I can say is try to deliver it instead of letting people tow it. You maintain control and make 2x the money. I still block out any dates for my well planned vacations, but sometimes we use it randomly when it has no renters. Will pay for itself in 3-4 years and decreased tax liabilities by an equal amount at the same time. Usually doesnt get rented much during hunting season too so theres another bonus. If you already own yours outright, its just easy money.

Ive had more issues with the RV falling apart on its own then people destroying it. Ive had a handful of people cause minor damage to it, 90% of those events happened when people towed it themselves. Including...

One guy...
Scratching the sides on brush or trees - buffed out
Cooking with the glass stovetop cover down - replaced glass

Another guy...
Dragging the wiring harness - replaced
Leveling the trailer with stabilizing jacks - replaced bent arm

Kitchen table corner cracked from it falling while in bed mode - not the fault of the user, designed like $&?!.

Rv issues...
Oven dial imploded- replaced.
Fridge thermal fuse blew - replaced and built a custom baffle to prevent it. Fridge single cooling fan went bad - replaced with 2 computer fans.
Water heater went out due to faulty circuit board - all replaced.

I fixed almost all of those issues myself and none of its technically under warranty due to it being rented.

I live where I can and have time to deliver it to nearby campsites. I charge $10/mile to deliver and setup/take down, max 65 miles from home. Aim for $100/hour for my time and use of equipment.

So best thing I can say is try to deliver it instead of letting people tow it. You maintain control and make 2x the money. I still block out any dates for my well planned vacations, but sometimes we use it randomly when it has no renters. Will pay for itself in 3-4 years and decreased tax liabilities by an equal amount at the same time. Usually doesnt get rented much during hunting season too so theres another bonus. If you already own yours outright, its just easy money.
Any concerns about liability?

My first thoughts were of lawsuits for well... anything. Car accidents, slip and fall, fire, etc.

Any concerns about liability?

My first thoughts were of lawsuits for well... anything. Car accidents, slip and fall, fire, etc.
Through the rental websites, the renter has to buy insurance which covers all liability and any damages, as long as I do my part of annual maintenance. So that adds a layer of protection. We do not rent to people personally or without insurance. I have let a few close friends borrow it though.

I'm an IT guy, so of course that's my side gig as well! Just starting to work occasional jobs for a guy that runs a small MSP. He's growing it with the goal of quitting his day job and doing his business full time, so looks like I'll be getting busier.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back