What's your side hustle?

Selling guns at Scheels!!! I only average about 10 hours a week but make better than expected $$$ which helps me (especially when combined with the deals/discounts) not feel bad at all for spending on hunting/guns/trips and maybe a new motorcycle this year....maybe. Best part is getting paid to shoot quite a bit, handle and learn about lots of guns, and working with actual decent people who give a shizz.
Good on you for being able to bring some of that money home! I worked as a gunsmith for Gander Mountain back in the day and being able to combine discounts and wandering the store during breaks was not good. That job cost me money.

7 years ago I went from doing excavation in the private sector to working for a state entity as an equipment operator/water system operator. That job gave me the freedom to do a lot more on the side, so I started renting equipment and taking on some small excavation projects. The last couple of years rental costs have sky rocketed so I had to make a decision, buy some equipment or quit taking on side projects. I pulled the trigger and bought a mini ex and have since got a skid steer too. The way the work load is going, I am going to have to make a decision soon and probably make my side hustle my full time gig. Next up is probably a bigger excavator. 20230722_110533.jpg

I have too many side gigs lol trying to cut them back. I own a small weed spraying business, focusing on more industrial type of sites. I do a few jobs a year that pay decent. I will spray friends' yards for dandelions and i also do mosquito spraying for friends or a few friends of friends. My list is pretty short on that type of work. I could easily turn that into a full-time summer gig if i wanted. I detail cars, i use to do 3-5 a week during the summer but got burnt out. I will do a few a month now. Burn a weekend doing a few. I cater small events, graduations, weddings, birthdays. I "specialize" in making cheesecakes. That is my main thing i will make for people. I also process deer in the fall, skin and debone cut and wrap steaks. We do 80-150 deer a year. And i am starting a small spice and rub company. I have been making my pork rub for over 10 years now giving it away to family and friends. I will sell a few bottles here and there. But many have encouraged me to start it up. I have a handful of different ones i am happy with the final product. The dry salsa is pretty good. Once i get inventory back up i should send some out to HTers for reviews. Website is done i am just doing other side hustles now to save money for some bigger inventory and then launch.

I do realize that at my current rate i will not be able to sustain this forever. But it has allowed me to pay off some debt early and i have purchased everything with cash for all my side ventures. I don't feel that bad when i treat myself to something. I want a pair of swaro binoculars and build a new rifle. I personally don't look at it as how much money i have to save for it. In my mind is how much time will i need to dedicate for that item.

I help my wife part-time reselling and ebay. It's kinda fun and you never know what you'll find! We hit up lots of estate sales, auctions, goodwill, garage sales, and thrift stores. It's her full-time job, but I enjoy helping her in my downtime and on weekends.
Here's a recent find. 1966 Herters rosewood recurve bow.
20240310_103631.jpg

Keep or sell is always the hard part with reselling outdoor gear.

I help my wife part-time reselling and ebay. It's kinda fun and you never know what you'll find! We hit up lots of estate sales, auctions, goodwill, garage sales, and thrift stores. It's her full-time job, but I enjoy helping her in my downtime and on weekends.
Here's a recent find. 1966 Herters rosewood recurve bow.
View attachment 321619

Keep or sell is always the hard part with reselling outdoor gear.
I have beef with people like you. I feel that people donate to good will, thrift stores, salvation army, etc. for the less fortunate and people who cant afford to buy new, not so people like you can wait in line before the doors open on days that they restock and snag up all the items with any value only to turn around and resell them for a profit.

Doesn't sit right with me.

I have beef with people like you. I feel that people donate to good will, thrift stores, salvation army, etc. for the less fortunate and people who cant afford to buy new, not so people like you can wait in line before the doors open on days that they restock and snag up all the items with any value only to turn around and resell them for a profit.

Doesn't sit right with me.

I agree with you. I donate a LOT of stuff to the goodwill stores. It pisses me off that someone can reach that low to go in there and buy stuff that is meant for those less fortunate to turn a profit on it instead of those goods going to the less fortunate.

Some people have no bounds.

I agree with you. I donate a LOT of stuff to the goodwill stores. It pisses me off that someone can reach that low to go in there and buy stuff that is meant for those less fortunate to turn a profit on it instead of those goods going to the less fortunate.

I have acquaintances who make significant money doing just that. And they are proud of it. I have mentioned my thoughts to him and he said "you don't realize how much time I spend doing that" to which I reply, if you have so much extra time then get a real job and make an honest living.

Nothing like taking from the poor and giving to the rich, while padding your own pockets.

I have acquaintances who make significant money doing just that. And they are proud of it. I have mentioned my thoughts to him and he said "you don't realize how much time I spend doing that" to which I reply, if you have so much extra time then get a real job and make an honest living.

Nothing like taking from the poor and giving to the rich, while padding your own pockets.

We were just raised better. Thats all.

I play bass in a band. Nothing too serious, a couple shows every few months. It doesn’t pay a lot, but it puts a little fun money in my account. Couple hundred bucks a year kinda thing. I also buy, fix up, and flip guitars and basses. Generally inexpensive stuff; buy for $70, clean it up, fix what’s broken, sell for $200-$300 kinda thing. But that’s only 2-3x a year most years.

Currently torn between liquidating to buy either a new LPVO, or a new set of golf clubs.

Main job is an insurance broker focused on tax mitigation, asset protection, succession and estate planning. Lots of numbers and paperwork but I like it.

That lead to offers to invest in small companies, so I have my hands in multiple businesses that have grown quite well. Those are my rainy day funds for the future when we sell.

My current side hustle is renting out our rv. Doesnt eat up too much time and makes it worth it to own one of those money pits. Also gives me great write offs. Averages 2-4hr/week in the busy summer season, makes us an extra $-10-12k/year. I may even list my boat as a rental just for the write offs with it being the other money pit.

Helps fund my expensive hobbies of hunting, fishing, motorcycles, and boats. Not surprisingly all 4 hobbies overlap with each other, and intertwine with the rv, so I feel like my wallet is constantly being emptied.

My current side hustle is renting out our rv. Doesnt eat up too much time and makes it worth it to own one of those money pits. Also gives me great write offs. Averages 2-4hr/week in the busy summer season, makes us an extra $-10-12k/year. I may even list my boat as a rental just for the write offs with it being the other money pit.

I've put a lot of thought in to doing the same, but can't get over the idea of trusting the general public to not destroy it.

Have you had good luck with it not getting beat to hell? To most people know how to use it properly?

I have a online group, and online store for random novelty items. Works out pretty good. Recently thinking about picking up taxidermy as a hobby to start, and possibly do some side work.. I paint cars and think it would carry over with the attention to detail, and love for wildlife. Was going to grab a few books and go down that rabbit hole a little.. and see if I think I'd still enjoy it. I have always found it interesting.. my uncle used to do birds, his father in law does big game, birds, and fish. Always found it interesting. Also I like to keep learning new things... The online stuff is super simple and easy though.. So it's kinda a catch.. could just keep doing what's easy, or could learn a new skill.. Iv always found online stuff kinda easy.. not so much programming but the marketing etc.. and I could keep that as well.. still deciding on exactly what I'd like to do in the next year.. keep it or turn that energy into something else..

I have no issue with it. One man’s trash is another man’s treasure. I talked to the local charity employee, they said the amount of stuff they end up throwing away is amazing. I think most people essentially donate to get rid of the clutter. We live in a throwaway culture and in my town at least, there’s no shortage of donations. Plus, I assume the high value stuff is like cabinets, jewelry, fine chi an etc. It’s not like the people who shop there are leaving in burlap sacks and empty handed. There’s still plenty of useful goods.

I make gorgeous sharp things :)

Attachments

• IMG_1106.jpeg
    IMG_1106.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1004.jpeg
    IMG_1004.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0997.jpeg
    IMG_0997.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8004.jpeg
    IMG_8004.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8005.jpeg
    IMG_8005.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8006.jpeg
    IMG_8006.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8007.jpeg
    IMG_8007.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8008.jpeg
    IMG_8008.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:

I think you guys are SERIOUSLY missing the point. Goodwill et al don't have thrift shop operations to sell the stuff they get donated to the folks "in need". They run those stores to make money to FUND the programs they run for the folks you are thinking of. Goodwill, ARC, Salvation Army all have a LOT of programs that depend on the CASH. That is why a large portion of those shops are in affluent areas. We have 3 of them within a couple miles of my house and I can assure you that there are next to no folks in need frequenting those shops. Folks flipping that stuff actually make the prices go up at the stores which benefits folks in need much more.

Back