Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

What's your side hustle?

I make custom knives in my spare time. Money I make on them goes into my hunting / outdoor recreation fund. Working on knives is very relaxing after a day at work. Haven't been in the shop recently due to remodeling my house and the wife is telling me to take a break from the house and go out in the shop and relax!

I found that putting in a little more effort in networking and professional development has really panned out and also resulted in a never ending supply of work.

Some really interesting side hustles listed.

You’re spot on. Working some OT in my professional career would be far more lucrative but I’m trying to find a way to be less reliant on working for the man. And it was a good excuse to buy some tools and equipment for the garage lol

Used to do well trapping but now that the coyote market has crashed that has dried up. We are buying a house with a meat cooler and hoping to hang or hang and cut animals in there for others this fall

I have beef with people like you. I feel that people donate to good will, thrift stores, salvation army, etc. for the less fortunate and people who cant afford to buy new, not so people like you can wait in line before the doors open on days that they restock and snag up all the items with any value only to turn around and resell them for a profit.

Doesn't sit right with me.
We definitely don't wait in line for stores to open. Goodwill is great, but it's prices have skyrocketed over the last few years which has led us to more auctions and estate sales.
We look to net at least $100 off of each item we source. So if you're the one donating these great items, thank you kindly and keep em coming! Most of the names we put in our carts at goodwill include:
SAGE, Simms, KLIM, White's, Tiffany, Pendleton, Woolrich, Sitka, Ruana, Wustof, TAG HAUER, Lakeland Clicker, Western Mountaineering, Schnees, Hathorn, Jimmy Choos, Olathe, Spyderco, Ghurka leather, vintage Bear/Herters/Redhead, OR GoreTex, vintage silver, Daly/Clark/Butte/Anaconda history stuff, etc.

Retired contractor but have several things going on that bring in some pretty decent income.
  • Was asked to serve on the board of directors of a local company and get compensated monthly for that.
  • Do construction consulting and management anytime the above company takes on a project.
  • Rent out some of our ground to local row crop farmers for annual cash rental payments.
  • Maintain some of our ground in conservation reserve CRP programs for annual payments.

7 years ago I went from doing excavation in the private sector to working for a state entity as an equipment operator/water system operator. That job gave me the freedom to do a lot more on the side, so I started renting equipment and taking on some small excavation projects. The last couple of years rental costs have sky rocketed so I had to make a decision, buy some equipment or quit taking on side projects. I pulled the trigger and bought a mini ex and have since got a skid steer too. The way the work load is going, I am going to have to make a decision soon and probably make my side hustle my full time gig. Next up is probably a bigger excavator. View attachment 321617
Are you staying under 26,000 GVWR with that setup? I'm wanting to get a mini excavator and have been looking at options to try to stay under 26,000lbs so myself or my son would need a CDL to haul it. My truck GVWR is 11,350 so that only leaves me 14,650 for the trailer and machine. The E42 is one machine that I think I might could sneak in under the limit. I think they list it as an E48 now. Had my heart set on a Takeuchi 250 for the extra hydraulic flow but think it is going to push the envelope on weight just a little too much. I would be mainly using it for personal stuff, but was thinking my son could do some side gigs with it.

Are you staying under 26,000 GVWR with that setup? I'm wanting to get a mini excavator and have been looking at options to try to stay under 26,000lbs so myself or my son would need a CDL to haul it. My truck GVWR is 11,350 so that only leaves me 14,650 for the trailer and machine. The E42 is one machine that I think I might could sneak in under the limit. I think they list it as an E48 now. Had my heart set on a Takeuchi 250 for the extra hydraulic flow but think it is going to push the envelope on weight just a little too much. I would be mainly using it for personal stuff, but was thinking my son could do some side gigs with it.
Yes, I'm just under 26,000 with my E42, but DOT looks at your GVWR. So my truck is rated for 11,000 and some change and my trailer is 16,000. So my GVWR is 27,000. So even though my GVW is under 26,000 I still have to run DOT compliant.

Where your truck is in the 11,000 range, if you were to get a 14,000 trailer you should be ok.

I have never been a big Bobcat fan. When I rented for years, I tried several and they seemed very sluggish, slow and under powered. When I got serious about buying, I tried several machines and I was impressed with how far Bobcat has come these last couple years. They put a turbo on them which has increased power and got them away from emissions BS. The hydraulics are amazing, very fast, efficient and smooth and they have had enough power to run any attachment I've tried on it. Another big perk was visibility. I don't know what they did with the glass, but it seems that no matter how you have the boom angled, you still have great visibility of the bucket.

Also, if you go with an E42, or any Bobcat, get the long stick. Their standard stick is worthless, too short.

Yes, I'm just under 26,000 with my E42, but DOT looks at your GVWR. So my truck is rated for 11,000 and some change and my trailer is 16,000. So my GVWR is 27,000. So even though my GVW is under 26,000 I still have to run DOT compliant.

Where your truck is in the 11,000 range, if you were to get a 14,000 trailer you should be ok.

I have never been a big Bobcat fan. When I rented for years, I tried several and they seemed very sluggish, slow and under powered. When I got serious about buying, I tried several machines and I was impressed with how far Bobcat has come these last couple years. They put a turbo on them which has increased power and got them away from emissions BS. The hydraulics are amazing, very fast, efficient and smooth and they have had enough power to run any attachment I've tried on it. Another big perk was visibility. I don't know what they did with the glass, but it seems that no matter how you have the boom angled, you still have great visibility of the bucket.
Haven't ran a new one lately, but I agree. The older bobcats are shit. Same with the skid steers.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back