Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

What's your routine for cleaning a new rifle?

EKYHunter

New rifle, right out of the box. What's your routine or process for getting the factory oil, grease, or gunk out and off the rifle? Any specific brand of solvent, cleaner, or chemical you'd recommend?

I just use brushes and some solvent. Use a shot of Gun Scrubber and then follow up with light oil. I do this to the bolt/firing pin as well.

I’ve always used the same products and process in this video and it’s worked well for me. I think you can get the kit from midway for a reasonable price. I usually just use the KG products to cut down on time.

I think any decent oil should work for this task. The important thing is just to get rid of the gunk, which you can do with a rag alone, once you disassemble. I just take the thing apart and wipe down every piece to get the gunk off, wipe with oil, then wipe again to get rid of excess oil. I might use solvent in the barrel, if it needs it, but again, just run patches through till clean, then oil lightly and run a dry patch through. With my new Tikka, I was glad I completely disassembled the bolt...

Most rifles are test fired from the factory so I wouldn't expect there to be much gunk in the barrel itself besides what small amount is left from the test firing. I don't really do much honestly other than wiping it down with a rag and oiling as directed.

I’ve got some JBs. I’ll start with that. Thanks.

I'd hold off on the JB's unless barrel seems rough or not a shooter. JB's is rough stuff and have seen good barrels get ruined with over ambitious cleaning.

Its great for a heavily fouled barrel or one that would need 80 plus rounds to smooth out but for a new gun that is still an unknown I wouldn't risk it.

If you still feel like thats the way to go be careful go light and only a few times through the barrel. And make sure you thoroughly clean it out before you shoot.

Saying all that, I run a few wet patches, nylon brush, then dry patches. Then I break it in with cleaning after each shot for first 10, then once after 5, once after 10, then only if groups open up. Has always worked well for me.

And just to show Im not biased against JB, there have been two guns that really benefited with a good polishing after break in, a savage 220 slug gun and a savage 10 6.5. Both guns groups shrunk considerably after the polishing. I think some manufacturers just leave barrels a little rougher than others.

Quick clean, shoot and evaluate before going further.

Good luck

I'd hold off on the JB's unless barrel seems rough or not a shooter. JB's is rough stuff and have seen good barrels get ruined with over ambitious cleaning.

Its great for a heavily fouled barrel or one that would need 80 plus rounds to smooth out but for a new gun that is still an unknown I wouldn't risk it.

If you still feel like thats the way to go be careful go light and only a few times through the barrel. And make sure you thoroughly clean it out before you shoot.

Saying all that, I run a few wet patches, nylon brush, then dry patches. Then I break it in with cleaning after each shot for first 10, then once after 5, once after 10, then only if groups open up. Has always worked well for me.

And just to show Im not biased against JB, there have been two guns that really benefited with a good polishing after break in, a savage 220 slug gun and a savage 10 6.5. Both guns groups shrunk considerably after the polishing. I think some manufacturers just leave barrels a little rougher than others.

Quick clean, shoot and evaluate before going further.

Good luck
Thank you. Good advice.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back