Caribou Gear

Whats your most accurate rifle?

Best Factory rifle is a stock savage model 10 predator chambered in 223. It shoots factory 40gr vmax at 1/4MOA. I decided to not even try and find a better load. I do have some 69gr SMK hand loads that it will hold 1/2MOA that I use for range practice at further distance.

Best semi custom and cheapest is one my grand father built in 64. It started as surplus Jap 6.5 Type 97 that my grandpa bout for $2, he rechambered to a 6.5x284 which was a wildcat then. He "sporterised" the stock and bedded the action and barrel. I have it shooting my hand loads at a consistent 1/2 MOA. He said he had great success with some bulk 160 grain soft points that he had bought. He said they were imports and priced by the pound, he wished he had bought a lot more of them because he had great accuracy and success on deer, bear and coyotes.

It certainly can and usually does, though if not dramatic its' a good endorsement of the combo.
I actually think that consistently shooting good ten shot groups says more about how well you’re reading the wind or how calm it is than it says about your rifle or load. It’s a great thing to do, I just wouldn’t use it during tuning or evaluate a “combo” based on it.

Most accurate I ever had was a 788 Rem in 222 Rem. Honest 1/4" rifle! Had a 7mm Rem Mag at the same time, Sako L61R that hung just over 1/2" like clock work. I shot a lot better in those days, long time ago. Today my best would be a toss up between two 243's and my 6.5x06, depending on the bullet in the 6.5x06. All three run consistently right at 1/2"! Best group I ever shot though came from my 25-06 using a 100gr Sierra Match bullet. .111" at 100yds. Couldn't tell there wasmore than one hole in the target through the scope, 3-9x set at 9x. So shot an extra at another spot and sure enough hit that spot. Had to be right at the target to notice the hole was just a bit out of round. Took that rifle home and have never shot it again to today, didn't want to jinx myself! Used that rifle for deer quite a bit with 117gr Hornady's and it kept them right under 3/4". Wish I could find another 788 in 222 Rem, boy was that a shooter!
Remington’s early .222Rems and the Sako L-series rifles were definitely some factory rifles that were capable of shooting almost like custom guns, ESPECIALLY compared only to the shooting of their era. Barrels and bullets have both come a long way since then.

My best shooting rifle is my Rock River Arms Predator Pursuit AR-15. If you told me I needed to hit a quarter at 100 yards I would use it and feel pretty confident I would be able to do it.

Some folks have a natural knack for it............and then it's costly to ones safety at times. Hit one ten ring in basic and your screwed.

Nice shooting BillT.

My most accurate factory rifle is a Savage 112J .222 Single shot. Heavy barreled , heavy walnut stock with a palm swell. I’ve shot several five round groups under a half inch with it.

Second would be a 700 Mountain in .270. It shoots way better than a whispy barreled factory rifle should.
Factory 700 trigger cleaned up really nice and I’ve put it in an AG composites stock to save the factory walnut from getting too beat up.

I’ve got a 6.5 Creedmoor built on a 700 action, 24” Kreiger 1-8” in a McMillan A5 stock that I’ve shot some 5 shot groups in the .3s. I’ve made first round hits on steel prairie dogs out to 1300yds with it. It’s a laser with about any match ammo I’ve shot. 140 Berger Hybrids over H4350 is what it’s fed most.

Easy question for me to answer, I only have one deer rifle now, a .243 Sako 75 in SS, it is just as accurate as the Blaser 30-06 I used to own, but for a fraction of the price.
I wouldn't like to guess how many deer it has killed, I will never sell it, love this gun.
I do have a .22 Rimfire, also a Sako, but don't count it as I don't think it's relevant to this thread....but it is crazy accurate with a heavy varmint barrel.
Cheers
Richard

I actually think that consistently shooting good ten shot groups says more about how well you’re reading the wind or how calm it is than it says about your rifle or load. It’s a great thing to do, I just wouldn’t use it during tuning or evaluate a “combo” based on it.
There are some good statistical methods where you combine 5 shot groups into larger sets for statistical analysis - that helps with environmental issues. But like you said, for a hunting rifle it total overkill.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back