Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

What's your favorite 6.5 ammo?

samhain

I'm currently using Hornady superformance 129gr, just curious what everyone is using and how you like it?

Last edited:
By 6.5 I assume you mean Creedmoor. Last year between me and partners, my rifle killed three elk, three mule deer, and three antelope with the 147 ELD-M. It's the only factory load I've ever used in it. Worked fine, all 100-426 yds. A few exits, mostly not. I generally handload and prefer other bullets, but it worked for that year.

My Dad uses the 143 ELD Hornady. I use the 140 Nosler AB. Both have worked as advertised!

I've also used the 120 E-Tips and would recommend them as well.

130 Nosler Accubonds pushed with 38.5 grains of Varget-I have been playing with the 129 LR Accubonds but yet to find the grouping I'm looking for.

My favorite 6.5CM ammo?
Whatever you buy.
Gives more room on the shelf for ammo adults shoot. Lol

I can just imagine the explatives coming from Mtmuley when he can't find his 300 RUM ammo for the mountain of Manbun ammo. Snicker....

Last edited:
My favorite 6.5CM ammo?
Whatever you buy.

I can just imagine the explatives coming from Mtmuley when he can't find his 300 RUM ammo for the mountain of Manbun ammo. Snicker....
Don't need a 300 win mag to kill deer there tough guy...

My favorite 6.5CM ammo?
Whatever you buy.

After spending the summer shooting a 6.5 Creedmoor almost exclusively, I pulled the old 300 RUM out recently. The recoil from that first shot almost knocked my man bun out of its hair tie! I might have to see if mtmuley would be interested in picking up another RUM.

To the OP, for factory ammo, Hornady 143 gr PH, Hornady 147 gr Match, and Berger 135 gr Classic Hunter ammo have all shoot better than MOA for five shots in my Tikka. The Barnes 127 gr LRX factory load was about 1.25 MOA for me.

The only animals I have shot with the Creedmoor were a whitetail at about 270 yards with the Barnes ammo and a bighorn at 417 with a 147 gr ELD-M reload. The deer ran a short distance and the ram dropped in his tracks. Both were behind the shoulder shots.

Don't need a 300 win mag to kill deer there tough guy...
I don't own anything 30 caliber anymore.
I'm hunting with my 250 Savage. My daughter won't shoot it anymore, but has no problems with her boyfriends manbun.

Just say'n.. Lol

My RUM hasn't seen factory ammo since the one box I bought the day I got the rifle 20 years ago. None of my rifles shoot factory except for the rimfires. mtmuley

Hornady 143gr ELD...good groups and 3 dead deer that didn't make it more than 10 yards.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back