PEAX Equipment

Whats your 2019 plans

I had hoped to buy one the left over encouragement tags in either 34 or 36 cow elk tags. Youth got first choice on July 10th and seniors got 2nd choice on July 24.

The youth bought all the tags.

Shoot a mule deer doe and a mule deer buck and a cow elk in Montana and fill the freezer !

Reactions: LCH
Points everywhere. Four day Blacktail hunt in Kodiak road system, then help my guide buddy on a 10 day Kodiak brown bear hunt. I hate not chasing elk but this is still a bucket list year.

I think my plan is kind of starting to come together. The plan is for my son to burn his one less than max elk points in Wyoming for a late season hunt, and I will try for a cow on the same unit. If that works, I will then try to pick up a third season muley tag in Colorado and make it a two week trip with him flying in for the elk hunt. Other than that I will do the normal, AZ, UT, NV, WY, CO, SD & TX apps/points. Maybe ID, NM and KS also.

Scratch everything above. The only tag we got was my son's late elk tag in AZ. I struck out on everything else. In consolation my better half agreed to let me do a BC moose hunt. I found an outfitter that had an opening at a price I could afford and it looks like I will be in BC in early October. This isn't a record book trophy hunt, but it will be a moose hunt.

Yes, both mine. Colorado unit 201 Archery Bull Elk, 27 preference points needed to draw. I had them so altered my draw strategy and applied for hunts with extremely low odds of drawing. Wound up with a 482-20 Bighorn Sheep Ram tag. I’ve drawn the best elk tags and best mule deer tags in the west but I never in my wildest dreams though I’d draw a sheep tag anywhere, and I wind up drawing one of the best in North America. My buddies doubt there’s a non resident in the points game that’s been luckier than me....

JD

ND has late lotteries so not 100% sure of everything but have a pretty good idea. Brother got a local buck tag so I’ll be tagging along with him for sure, no deer tag for me or dad. For sure will be pheasant, grouse, and waterfowl locally, most likely will have a tundra swan tag as that is pretty much a guarantee. Besides that I’m waiting for fall turkey applications and will hopefully draw a local tag and maybe buy a leftover as well, decided to just buy a preference point for resident pronghorn. Also will have a small trapline out around the farm, can’t wait for fall.

September
-Colorado OTC Archery Elk
-Texas early Teal

September/October
-Wyoming Rifle Antelope (depends on work schedule)

October - Jan2020
-Texas public land archery deer and hogs and Texas draw hunts if I get drawn
-Texas Duck season

I try to get a week off per month during the fall, so I plan on one hunt per month if I am lucky. Much easier planning if I didn’t have to work.
Sep: Lucky with CO mule tag or AZ elk tag
Oct: Borderline WYO elk point draw/ burn pts on WYO Antelope/Deer combo hunt or 1st season CO Elk
NM can change all plans for OCT with elk/deer/pronghorn
Nov: AZ mule deer with luck/ Coues deer back up
Late season AZ Elk tag/ CO OTC as back up.
Little hope in drawing UT but who knows
Dec: freezer filling Texas doe tags
Jan: AZ archery safari or MX coues hunt

Well some of that came true and other options appeared.
Sept heading up to AK for a brown bear hunt with the cheapest guide I know, my mom.
Drew a first season elk tag and picked up a bear tag as well for Oct.
Luckily got a leftover Coues tag for early Nov in AZ and drew a late elk bull in AZ for after Thanksgiving.
In Dec/Jan bum as many whitetail doe landowner tags from by buddies with ranches that I can get.

Well, my plans have changed many times now. I think everything is now locked in.

September:
Colorado deer and bear
Kansas deer

October:
Indiana deer

November:
Montana deer
Indiana deer

December:
Arizona deer
Kansas deer (if unsuccessful in September)

All told, I have 6 buck tags. If I don't fill a one this year, I'd might as well throw in the towel..

Well, my plans have changed many times now. I think everything is now locked in.

September:
Colorado deer and bear
Kansas deer

October:
Indiana deer

November:
Montana deer
Indiana deer

December:
Arizona deer
Kansas deer (if unsuccessful in September)

All told, I have 6 buck tags. If I don't fill a one this year, I'd might as well throw in the towel..
Good luck, looks like a fun fall. Kansas archery/muzzleloader deer hunting on public/ WIHA land is intriguing to me, as I grew up in southern Nebraska roughly 10 miles from the KS border. I am just starting to get my feet wet with out of state hunting this year.

Hope to hear some good stories after season.

Just hunting at home in Louisiana.

Will start off October bow hunting the WMA's around the house. Then the first weekend we will do our annual squirell hunting/deer scouting and camping trip. That will be on Kisatchie Nationl Forest this year. We are doing a muzzleloder hunt/ camping trip in the Kisatchie National Forest as well in late October. I'll then transition to hunting our private land until I have 9 days off for a bow hunt and lottery rifle hunt on Tensas NWR around Thanksgiving. If we don't draw the rifle hunt on the Tensas NWR we will do an open hunt on the WMA's close to Tensas.

After that it will be back to private land for the tail end of the rut close to home.

After Christmas when the rut kicks in back over on Tensas I will be bowhunting there as much as I can until January 31.

Got to love the different rut times in the different parts of this State.

When February hits I plan on breaking out the otter and beaver traps.

My plans changed.
#1 bighorn sheep. I hope to hold off for the rut on the river as so many have suggested. The funny thing is that the six guys I have talked to said to wait for the rut, yet none of them held off that long....
They all killed 185 and bigger so I don't blame them.

2019 - Colorado 3rd season Unit 43 mule deer again.

2020 - Find a pronghorn opportunity and put in for a handful of elk tags in hopes of drawing one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back