Caribou Gear Tarp

What's yer total?

I don't keep track of the animals I kill, but I do keep a very accurate log of every time the Mrs. and I do the wild thing. Started as a workout log that I kept adding activities to. :)

Caught my first fish at 5 yrs old( largemouth), started fly fishing at 12 years old. Started big game hunting in '89.
(9) bulls
(2) cows
(14) antelope bucks
(4) antelope does
(15) whitetail bucks
(5) whitetail does
(13) muledeer bucks
(2) muledeer does
(1) bull moose
(1) mt.goat
(1) bighorn
(1) California boar
(1) black bear
(60) turkeys

16 different species on a fly in Montana
15 different saltwater species on a fly.

It's a list in progress but:

1 bull elk;
3 bull moose;
5 black bears;
4 antelope bucks;
6 mule deer bucks;
14 whitetail bucks;
6 turkey toms;
1 very unlucky wild boar;
∞ mule deer and whitetail does;
∞ beavers; and
∞ coyotes.

This year was the first I passed several mule deer bucks and bears. Never been that picky and it resulted in unfullied tags which I'm surprisingly totaly fine with.

Last edited:
My goose number is at zero and will stay there. Used to shoot ducks when I was a kid. They taste like shit.
There's a good reason they taste like shit, around here they tend to go to the sewage treatment plants and are floating around in the pools. I stopped eating duck after that.

There's a good reason they taste like shit, around here they tend to go to the sewage treatment plants and are floating around in the pools. I stopped eating duck after that.
One of the most popular spots around me is the fields adjacent to a town’s lagoon ponds. People will get into arguments about hunting there even. No thanks

I had fun looking back at pics to get a close count. Probably missed a few but I think I was able to find most of them.
With the deer I posted (49) from OR plus deer from 7 other states I ended up with 74 so,
Deer, (Blacktail, Mule Deer, Whitetail, Coues) 74 Bucks/Does 10-15?
Elk, (Archery, MZ, Rifle) 16 Bulls/7 Cows
Antelope, 12 Bucks
Black Bears, 33
Brown Bears, 2
Pig, 1 Boar
Gator, 1
Javelina, 3
Dall Sheep, 2 Rams
Mt. Goat, 1 Billy
Caribou, 1 Bull
Moose, 1Bull
Wolverine, 1
Turkeys, 27 Toms

1 mule deer buck with rifle
4 mule deer bucks with bow
1 whitetail buck with bow
1 whitetail doe with bow
2 antelope with rifle
1 antelope with bow
1 black bear
1 mountain lion
6 or 7 tom turkeys
1 bobcat tom treed
10? Bobcats trapped
Who knows how many coyotes
1 barbary ewe hopefully gonna make that 2 next month

I was blood hungry as as kid and looking for things to shoot. Hunting ducks every evening after school. Soon, in a place with little standing water, you ride the school bus in the morning and see all the ducks on the town treatment pond and put it all together!

30 whitetail bucks
29 whitetail does
5 mule deer bucks
5 antelope bucks
1 bull elk
2 wild boars
50 tom turkey
Had some free time today, so i did some calculations and come up with the average shot distances, and shortest and longest
Rifle whitetails: 72 yards, 10 and 244 yards
Archery whitetails: 19 yards, 5 and 46 yards
Rifle mule deer: 196 yards, 35 and 468 yards
Archery mule deer: 43 yards (only one)
Rifle antelope: 154 yards, 75 and 300 yards
Rifle elk: 343 yards
Turkey: 32 yards, 12 and 55 yards

Last edited:
I’ve kept a record since 01-02 waterfowl season is the specific species and number of species I’ve shot. Those numbers are going to be fun totaling up one of these years. I’m pretty sure I have pictures of all the big game animals I’ve killed, probably in the 20’s for deer and Antelope, mid teens for antlered elk, 1 cow.
Matt

I have a similar spreadsheet for flyfishing that goes back 25 years, started it in college. Keep track of length, weight, fly used, body of water, water temperature and other things. It is interesting to look at and see how my fishing has changed over time. And how the fishing has changed in the places I have fished. The different stages in my life, college, bachelor after college, married, kids, divorce are all reflected in my flyfishing log by number of fish caught, time spent fishing and where I was able to go fish.

Apparently, @Big Fin and I are collectively responsible for the near demise of mule deer in eastern MT with one episode of Fresh Tracks…😄

Even though my grand total of mule deer killed in MT is one and that was killed in NW MT.

Total lifetime count of critters is unknown. Enough that I have trouble remembering each kill, not so many that I couldn’t if I sat down and tried.

Might be time to try and remember, if for no other reason than reliving a hunt in my mind.
I was accosted last year at a track meet by a guy who knew that I knew Randy. This was his exact rant and unfortunately not the first time

14 elk aprox . A big one each with rifle and bow. The rest rags or cows.

About as many deer.
About half of them mule deer and half whitetail.
more I suppose, if counting the R2 archery whitetail does we used to kill the hell out of as kids.

1 coues
1 dall
1 bighorn ewe
1 bighorn ram
1 AK-Y Moose
1 mtn caribou
2 wolves
3 pronghorn

-Lots of coyotes.
-An obscene amount of Colombian ground squirrels.

-Most of the Montana fish species including grayling and goldens.

-Arctic char
- couple species of tuna
- Jack crevalle
- red snapper

Last edited:
Don’t think you aren’t to blame as well. You’re on more episodes than I am…😂
When you know Montana has zero management and I know you knew that. And you put the spotlight on it during a 5 week rut hunt and the message was not come to Montana to hunt, it was come to this specific area. A state wide general hunt where residents and nonresidents can both freely go, no limit on residents. It doesn’t exactly matter how many mule deer bucks you shot. You collectively put the spotlight on one area and wiped it out. It blows my mind that sportsmen that care about a resource would do that. Cool YouTube video though hope it was worth it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back