Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

What's yer total?

I've loosely kept track through the years, mostly for entertainment on the what if's.

29 elk, 28 bools, 1 cow..........................missed 2 more bools that resulted in tag soup! Cow=flaccid
10 Muley bucks, missed 5 more with a rifle that resulted in tag soup! 2 would make a B&C measurer weep.
10 Lope, 9 Bucks 1 doe. Missed another 3 with a bow that resulted in zilch for the year. Doe=Flaccid
5 whitetail- who really cares? One was a doe=flaccid
2 Dall Sheep, strange I never missed one
2 Mtn Goats
1 shiras moose-for sure accidentally shot in the ass in the excitement.
1 Coues deer
1 black bear-Size of Black Lab
Missed a giant 350 caribou with a bow
Missed a super nice BHS ram with a bow
Some day hope to complete my "missed" Super Slam..............................

I prefer a ruler as it let's me push into the belly a little further thus giving me that little extra I need.
Little known fact. . At age 45 you are allowed to measure from the back of the bunghole...... and a 3.5" shotgun shell is a handy field reference device. Or a 2 3/4" inch shell for those of you under 45.

When I started hunting I would write down what I shot, day and time, how far the shot was, where the animal was hit, how far it traveled, what weapon I used, and location of kill. Not sure why I started, but I was crazy about hunting. In my early twenties I transferred the information into a leather journal that I still keep today. It’s fun to read back over my notes and recall past hunts. After 41 years of hunting I’ve tallied:

1 - moose
1 - Sitka black-tail deer
2 - hogs
3 - black bear
4 - mule deer
5 - elk
6 - pronghorn (4 bucks)
212 - whitetail (39 buck)

I don’t try nearly as hard anymore to fill tags, but enjoy hunting with friends and enjoying my time outdoors. pretty interesting thread.

I really never kept a tally, as I have always been consumed by hunting and fishing. Growing up I’m Montana, I enjoyed the benefits of the diversity of land and animals.

If I was to guess, I would say 90+ elk, deer and antelope, I haven’t a clue, 2 moose, 2 grizzly and several black bears and all the species in Montana.

At one time there was a plaque that had pictures of the Montana Big 10 and I have been fortunate enough that I have gotten all 10 including grizzly bear.

I never really trophy hunted, but I have gotten a few and don’t have room for any more. My house is small and I have too many mounts for such a cracker box, but I’m rarely home because I would rather be hunting or fishing.

Last edited:
I use a 1/4” steel tape and a flexible metal cable.
One time I was at a hunting show measuring antlers. The show was winding down and things were slow when this little girl showed up. I could tell she was trying to work up the courage to ask me something so I asked her what she wanted to know. She wanted me to measure her first deer. Of course I said I would be happy to and off she went to retrieve the antlers. When she got back I put on tape and drew base lines and measured the antlers with a 1/4 steel tape and a flexible metal cable as carefully as if it was a B&C contender. I can not remember the score, but lets just say it was well short of record book, but I told the little girl it was a find buck and she should be very happy. She left happy even though the buck was not all that big.

moral to the story. Just because you use the official B&C tools doesn't mean what you are measuring will make the record books and if you treat the girl right, she will still be smiling at the end.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back