Caribou Gear

What's up with UTAH???

camo, cost wont limit the amount of tags, just the income class that will apply. The guys that can afford it will benefit from better draw odds.
For the record, i dont have a problem with high tag prices because you know what to expect, its the application fees that are shitty. Like i said, many will start dropping out, but for you residents dont let that think it will mean better odds for you, just a different kind of odds and class of hunters will be getting the nonres tags.
Oak, my first nores tag was when i was 18. went to MI to hunt the rifle season the week before ours.

Here's the problem I see at buying a licence in a state you don't hunt. If I have to drop $150 for a non-res license pluss a $6 application fee for 10 years I'm into the hunt $1,500. I could pick up a LAnd owner tag for another grand. I'm a Man for the "NOW" so thats what I'd do. More and more people buying land owner tags they go up too. It's a Vicious Cycle.

My kids will be hunting other states when they are old enough. I will prioritise my money to see that it happens.

Just so you guys know, Wisconsin has a alarming drop in the amount of new hunters. That was one of the reasons the F&G was trying to lower the legal age to hunt here. I would be interested to here what is going on your own state as far as new hunter numbers. I have a hard time believing we are the only state that has this kind of trend.

I can actually see both sides of this issue. On one hand, nobody's bending my arm forcing me to apply for any out of state tags. I can still shoot a decent buck (nearly) anywhere in California as long as I don't mind working a little harder for it. There's no LAW that says I HAVE to hunt anywhere else.
On the other hand, the greedy poachers and big-rack hunters in my state have pretty well shot the mule deer herd to hell and gone, so if I want to hunt in a state that has properly managed its deer herds -I'll have to cough up the money.
It's true that the younger kids will first hunt closer to home -and when money and time isn't such an issue, perhaps THEN they will apply out of state. Conversely, maybe the younger hunters might think the whole drawing process is a complete revenue generating, money-grubbing sham and avoid it alltogether.
I -for one- have HAD it with grubstaking out of state Fish & Wildlife Departments that appear not to have my best intrests in mind. Then again, they didn't reach into my pocket and take the money out of it... I GAVE IT TO THEM.
As I said earlier, I'm gonna keep shoveling over money to Nevada until my brother and I pull tags. After that... See ya later. This is because I went the other route: I'm a part owner in enough property in northern Cali to insure me a landowner tag until the day I die. As far as I'm concerned, the out of state inticments just don't cut it any more.

Seems we have a record number if applicants every year in AZ.

Maybe they are all CJCJ's buddies from the south??:eek: Couldnt resist it:D
Stan when you say applicants, are you talking in general or for young first time hunters?
Miller, not funny.. 7 dead all freinds and family. Then this past weekend it went the other way. this one will be hard to find out what really happened but the tensions between our Hmong immigrants and the "round eye" hunters is getting really bad. This is one more reason they need to make English the official language and make it so if you cannot speak it you cannot hunt.http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=550810
Notice the killed hunters last name? kind of ironic. Yea the white guy had a past record but he was a dumb kid and who knows if it really means anything. They said he turned up at the hospitol shot in both hands... WTF?? This one will be interesting. Thing is, he wasnt supposed to have a gun because he was a felon for his actions as a minor. That is going to haunt him in this case.
I cannot help but think this guy looks like you..

Stan when you say applicants, are you talking in general or for young first time hunters?

Don't know who is applying, kids, grandmas, illegals? I just know that since the internet applications came about, more and more people are in the draw every year. I think there was a slight reduction in 2005 when it went back to paper.

AZ doesn't seem to make it real easy for youth to draw anything other than doe or cow hunts. I know I'll be applying my nephew for the first time this year. He'll get a good hunt on his first choice then an easy to draw youth hunt on his second choice.

If you draw your 1 tag this year be careful of all the wolves over there. I hear they have eaten all the 400in bulls............

Moosie...big problem with your "theory" of buying a landowner tag...they dont issue many (if any) landowner desert or rocky mountain bighorn permits, goat permits, or moose permits. If there are/were any available...you'd be looking at 10K+ for a permit.

I dont mind buying a license in NV, AZ, or ID every year just to apply. Its money spent that is going to support the G&F agencies and wildlife. I view it as an investment into the wildlife...and also by funding the G&F agencies I'm making sure that the deer/elk/sheep are being taken care of. That way when I do draw a tag, I'll have a good chance at taking a quality animal or at least having a quality hunt.

Wildlife management aint cheap...and I dont mind spending money to fund it. I may never draw a tag in AZ, NV, or ID. However, I know for a fact I'll never draw unless I apply.

I will not let a few hundred dollars in license fees per year take away my chance to hunt sheep.

I dont mind buying a license in NV, AZ, or ID every year just to apply. Its money spent that is going to support the G&F agencies and wildlife. I view it as an investment into the wildlife...and also by funding the G&F agencies I'm making sure that the deer/elk/sheep are being taken care of. That way when I do draw a tag, I'll have a good chance at taking a quality animal or at least having a quality hunt.

Not to mention the fact that supporting wildlife today will ensure that the future generations that are being brought up above.........will have something to hunt.

Wildlife management aint cheap...and I dont mind spending money to fund it.

That's the way I like to think of it too, although my only annual donation other than my home state has been to Oregon. This will be year 9 of buying an Oregon hunting license which I probably will not use, and with the application fees for 3 species, is costing just under $100 a year. It does seem like a lot of money at the time, but if you just think of it as a donation to fund wildlife management it doesn't seem so bad.

If I have to drop $150 for a non-res license pluss a $6 application fee for 10 years I'm into the hunt $1,500. I could pick up a LAnd owner tag for another grand.
But what if you draw in the first year or two?? Then you saved more money than by switching to Geico! :D

I realize that the license fees are a main source of income for most F&G depts but the NR hunters and fisherman end up footing a large portion of that bill. Especially when it comes from upfront, non-refundable license fees required to enter a draw.

AZ - I don't mind paying the tag fee and I wouldn't mind the license fee if it was $50 or $60 even the previous $75 was even ok, plus $5 or $10 for an application fee then charge the difference on the tag. But over $100 just to apply is a little steep.

The problem is that without the license purchase the depts wouldn't make all that extra $$$ on the unused licenses they force you to buy just to apply. I also can't say that CA is any different they make you buy a license just to apply to the draw.

One good thing about AZ that is good for junior hunters, resident or non-resident, is that their license is only $25.50 for hunting and fishing and they can buy it until they are 20 yrs old. Other states should offer this type of license to all juniors regardless of residency.

Hey Dangerous... don't give away all of our secrets, like the one about there being decent bucks in CA. Just tell 'em the quail hunting is fine...

Didn't read any of the responses so I don't know what this topic is about. But I'm headed there in a couple hours to that convention with a friend. Called AZ402 (he's down there too) and he said they don't have whiskey in Utah and I'd have to bring my own. Really. WHAT'S UP WITH UTAH??

:D :D 3.2 beer as well, or so I hear. 4 guys in a small car, no one is allowed any extra clothing for fear we will not have enough beer room.:D :D

Greenhorn- There's whisky here, you just have to buy it at the state owned liquor stores. No picking it up at Walgreens.

I'll be at the show tomorrow as well. Should be a good time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back