What's up with the lighted nock deal?

SFC B

I am an admitted moron when it comes to archery. What is the issue with having lighted nocks? I just saw a comment about it on another thread and have to admit I don't see what it could be. Please enlighten me!! :hump:

Thanks for the link RH. I have to say as an outsider looking at archery the main argument against them seems to be slippery slope leading to crazy stuff. I can't imagine anything but positives from using lighted nocks (visualizing point of impact, easier arrow recovery and with that inspection for blood on arrow). I guess the I should be glad the archery arguments (recurve vs compound vs crossbow) are something that applies to me. Seems that some folks intentions on supporting "primitive" or special type hunts are that they want to be assured of getting special treatment for seasons and duration of hunts over rifle hunters. I suppose it is a matter of perspective :confused:

Thanks for the link RH. I have to say as an outsider looking at archery the main argument against them seems to be slippery slope leading to crazy stuff. I can't imagine anything but positives from using lighted nocks (visualizing point of impact, easier arrow recovery and with that inspection for blood on arrow). I guess the I should be glad the archery arguments (recurve vs compound vs crossbow) are something that applies to me. Seems that some folks intentions on supporting "primitive" or special type hunts are that they want to be assured of getting special treatment for seasons and duration of hunts over rifle hunters. I suppose it is a matter of perspective :confused:

Well some people from certain states dont' agree. I could care less about lighted knocks or crossbows. They have been legal in places I have hunted and I dont' see a problem with using them. Others would have you believe the world would come to an end if they were allowed.

There are a few topics that seem to get people fired up. lighted knocks, crossbows, hunting with hounds, hunting over bait, etc...

This one was the worst. Some of the comments are just jaw dropping. Most forums would ban people for the comments that are on that thread.
http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?t=253608&highlight=crossbows

This was another funny one.
http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?t=253657&highlight=crossbows

Another
http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?t=257854&highlight=muzzleloader+montana

Basically it seems to boil down to some people who don't handle change well. Unfortunately for them change is the one thing that is certain in this world. Will be interesting to see the comments when laws change and these items are allowed in their state.

In the end I don't think crossbows or lighted knocks are a big deal. I've hunted in states that allowed them and didn't' notice any problems because of it. I'm sure the same argument shave been made in the last 100 years as things like muzzleloaders became easier to use with 209 primers and better powder/sabots. Rifles became more accurate and things like bullets, scopes, powder, got better and more accurate. Archery equipment got better with compound bows and better sights, releases, rests, stabilizers, etc.. Not to mention rangefinders. Just part of the modernization of hunting.

Last edited:
All these pissing contests boil down to one thing. As hunters, we need to support whatever is legal, as there are enough idiots trying to get all of hunting banned without worrying about who has the pink ribbon on his hat while he is legally hunting. There are issues that I have not agreed with over the years, but I had no influence on them and started trying to only look at the big picture.

What is interesting, is that whether you talk crossbows, lighted nocks, scoped muzzle loaders or whatever, the harvest numbers vary rarely change because of them. The big picture of uniting the hunting community should be the only concern. If the state says that it is legal, then go for it.

All these pissing contests boil down to one thing. As hunters, we need to support whatever is legal, as there are enough idiots trying to get all of hunting banned without worrying about who has the pink ribbon on his hat while he is legally hunting. There are issues that I have not agreed with over the years, but I had no influence on them and started trying to only look at the big picture.

What is interesting, is that whether you talk crossbows, lighted nocks, scoped muzzle loaders or whatever, the harvest numbers vary rarely change because of them. The big picture of uniting the hunting community should be the only concern. If the state says that it is legal, then go for it.

Well stated!

^^^^^^^^, I have to admit that I don't get the "no scope" and no pelletized powder rules either.... Seems like a lot of very intentional splitting of hairs for certain groups very personal agendas instead of the good of hunting as a whole.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back