Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

What’s the worst item you’ve lost?

I lost the Gerber Big Hunter Knife my dad gave me when I was 12 just a few years ago. I went back several time to look but no luck. It is still out by Wild Hog Butte on the Custer.

I haven't lost much hunting, but fishing on the other hand I had a rough day once. I caught a near state record fish while I was wadefishing. I was so overwhelmedI d while I was taking pictures I dropped my fishing rod in the water and didn't realize it until I was walking back to the truck. Even though it was in knee deep water, it was so murky I coudlnt feel bottom and drug my feet in a zig zag pattern for hours looking Later that day I went to take the fish to the taxidermist and couldn't find my camera when I got to the taxidermy shop, I left it on the hood of the truck as a left the fishing spot and had to go back there to get it.

I'm pretty good at losing things while hunting. I have to tether everything to myself these days, and I still manage to lose things. These are the 3 worst:

1.) Vortex Viper HD 10x42. I was standing next to the truck watching my wife stalk a pronghorn, alternating between binos and scope. I had unclipped my binos tether to make this easier, opting to set them on the hood of the truck. During the excitement of her getting one, I threw the scope back in the case and grabbed my pack to come help. No idea where the binos went. Drove over a metal pole on the way out and lost taillights. Drove back the 4 hours 3 days later but could not find the binos.

2.) Practicing shooting my wife's muzzleloader at a BLM range the night before an archery hunt. All her muzzy loading gear was in a fancy pack. Drove off without it. Oh yeah, her very nice rangefinder, knife and tags were all in that pack, too.

3.) I bought a Remington 770 cheap from a friend getting out of hunting. Lost the bolt while climbing through brush. Sent it in for repair and they wanted to charge me 3x what I paid for it originally. Told them to recycle that garbage.

Late to the party but I have to say that losing stuff is something I try extra hard to avoid because I tend to buy quality gear in the hope it will last. Still, I lost a Glock 27, a Winchester .30-06, and a Surefire Aviator.

The one that really bites is the Aviator, my first high tech flashlight. I don't know how it could have come out of my tight pack pouch velcro'd in place but I think it happened in a dense and steep copse of buck brush deep in the forest. I spent five days retracing my route to no avail. Didn't kill an elk that year either but I replaced the Aviator a month later. I wonder now that a forest fire has burned away the trees and shrubs if I'll find that Surefire someday.

I carried the G27 doing back country bird count transects and realized a mile up the trail that the pistol was gone. I panicked all the way back to the truck where I found it on the floor. I'd shouldered my pack but forgot to holster the Glock.

My trusty Winchester 54 dropped a bull at dusk on a mountain side and I struggled over three hours in the dark to field dress him in a tangle of shrubs. Once done I shouldered the rifle and made my way up the mountain to my horse. When I got there the rifle was gone. It took another hour with a waning flashlight and headlamp to find the rifle neatly slung to an oak branch where I'd clawed my way through a dense tangle. The time I lost looking for it left me without a light for the two hour ride back to camp.

Lessons learned, costly at the time but cheap enough on reflection.

haven't lost anything but did once find a semi auto shotgun some dope drove off and left.

went to sherrifs office with it and they tracked him down and we got it back to him . he was one happy camper

Lost my wedding ring in a river while on a float trip with my wife 6 weeks after the wedding. At the time my wife and I thought it was a really bad omen. Still married to the same gal now going on 30 years later though. Also lost a really nice light spinning rod/reel combo on the same canoe crash that the wedding ring got lost....didn't realize it until we were a few miles down the river though.

Lost my outdoor edge knife two days ago and was really bummed. On the way out my wife and I stopped at one of the glassing points we were at in the morning. While I combed some sagebrush further down the ridge where I had previously hiked, my wife decided to circle a nearby bush and found it! As with so many other things in life, I owe her.

I'm mourning the loss of an Onx chip. Dropped right at my feet but couldn't find it in the tall grass.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back