Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

What's the Reason?

I read somewhere that there is a lot of auditing that happens to verify if people are residents/non residents, landowners and thing like that. I would post a link but I can not for the life of me remember where it was. I’d agree that there is a long list of things that would contribute to the delay. I’ve never applied in Montana so I don’t know when the deadlines are for any applications. But I did just move from South Dakota and I know that the application deadlines are staggered so not everything is being done at one time. Like in Colorado and New Mexico the app deadline is the same for everything. I do like how quick South Dakota is but I would bet if you compared applications numbers from SD to other states they wouldn’t be very close.
I hope that makes sense.
Zach

I think a lot of the reasoning behind the long delay's in draws goes back years to paper and manual applications... Imgaine getting 10,000 or whatever apps in the mail that have to be manually entered a draw system/mechinism... My feelings are that many States/GFP Agiences simply haven't updated the draw timelines (application deadline vs. draw) to reflect the current times and technologies. Turns into a situation that it's done the way it is because it's always been done that way... Truthfully nowadays, there really is no reason any state should need to take longer than 4-6 weeks - from an IT perspective... Long as their draw system\websites are setup properly and identifying 'bad inputs/data' up front, there should really be very few instances of sorting through trouble applicants or dealing with 'bad' data....

People get upset when they know government workers but you complain about government having workers not motivated, poor leadership and policies that do not make apparent sense.

Online draw applications have sped up the time it takes to "load" all the applicants and their choices into the draw system to then perform the draw. Any draw system that goes more than 4 weeks from close of applications to announcing the results is not optimal and likely there is no motivation for the workers and leadership to care. They may actually like getting a rise out of you as that is the power source for the walking dead.

Here is why 4 weeks seems acceptable. You build the draw model ahead of the application deadline. If the draw model is held up waiting for final tags numbers then push back the application deadline. Verify the applicants. Load the verified applicant's choices. Run the draw sequence. Audit the results to make sure properly drew and awarded tags. Charge credit cards in states that do not pre-charge. Announce results. Could a state get the process down to 1 week? Yes, if 100% online applications and tag quantities are final as application deadline closes.
They also need an extra week to figure out who actually gets tags so that may account for part of the delay this year.

https://www.gohunt.com/read/news/mo...es-problems-for-hopeful-elk-hunters#gs.b6798f

Nevada just shortened it’s time between apps and tag results.
Sorry Bill T the world is out to get you.

I agree some draw times are quite long. CA is actually very quick. I think last year we had results in 10 days or so.

Idaho takes your NR $2300 bucks April 1 and gives it back end of June or so ... my guess is that money is sitting somewhere getting some interest, but who knows. More than likely it is just supply and demand. Where else will people take their money??? Other states with long waiting periods too. They do because they can. The states know they have desirable species and they dictate terms....expecting a government agency to do something fast is just silly.

Also remember that when states make things easier or cheaper, application numbers jump (look at Colorado last year)....then people complain about that....

I asked that question about the lottery results in Illinois. I was on the phone with the person who claimed to be the person in charge of the lotteries and she claimed that a lot of the "lead time" was spent sorting through the mail in applications and the online applications to weed out duplicates. It didn't seem to me a very efficient process in the way she was describing it, especially since it seemed that she was the only person doing it. I got a distinct feeling that this was her kingdom and this was the way she had always done it and in her estimation there was no possible way to change or improve the process. I would bet that most states with long lead times are afflicted with a similar situation. Short staffing and the process is controlled by a long-time staffer who doesn't see any reason to make improvements.

Back