What's the allure of a double barrel?

T Bone

What's the attraction to the double shotguns? Is it simply a status thing now or by function and feel are they as good or better than a pump or auto?

What say you?

I shoot my over under better than I shoot my pump. I think it's personal preferance. I will not say it is better or worst however I do like it lots more.

When I lived in Japan I bought an SKB 501 (same as the Weatherby Orion) from the factory. I hated the thing. I shoot my Rem 870 a lot better then the o/u and it feels more comfortable to carry. It's all personal preferance.

I like the instant choice of choke for a shot. I also shoot tyem a lot better than I do a pump. I hate having to pump a gun for another shot.

brokfut

where in Japan did you live,
I was there from 1962-1977 or 78
we were in yokuska, misawa and yokohama.
I shot skeet at the range in yokuska and misawa 2-3 days a week

Delw

When I ran Beagles for Rabbits, I had a side by side for the simple reason that I also reloaded my own shot shells. No looking around for them. I always enjoyed my Double, most regulars had side by sides. John

I don't own one myself but, I think the allure as you put it, has more to do with tradition than anything else.
The first quality shotguns were made in europe before we were a nation. Bird hunting had been apart of noble priviledge long before the modern cartridge was developed, and by then double guns were the standard. The nobles were rich, the rich like fancy things and so fine shotguns became status symbols. We inherited from the English the idea that shotgunning is a gentlemanly pursuit and that gentlemen (self-styled or otherwise) don't shoot guns mass produced for the hoi-ploi, and so well-made side-by-sides command premium prices today.

jm2c

I recently shot a Browning Citori at a sporting clay shoot...was sweeeet. Most of the better shooters were also using o/u's but a few were using the new hi-tech autos.

I was using an old light 12 auto 5 Belgian Browny & it beat me to death.

Delw,
I was at Yokosuka 84 to 87. Shot trap and skeet at the range 2-3 times a week.
I got the gun from the SKB factory thru their rep there.

The better made doubles have some "cast" in the stocks that makes them fit most shooters better, especially as Americans get heavier and have fatter cheeks. Pumps have an inherent tendency to line up faster for the second shot because of the pumping action, if you keep your eye on the bird.

Some snobs claim doubles are the "most sporting" guns to shoot because you only get two shots. If you think that is true, just put two shells in a pump and you'll have something more "sporting" than a double, because the pump is inherently more difficult to shoot twice.

You'll rarely see anyone shooting well with a pump in competition because even the best pump shooters will occasionally "short shuck" when the pressure of competition is on.

English gunsmiths promulgated the snob appeal and myths about doubles being best so they could justify the higher prices they were charging the aristocracy, although the classic early doubles truly are works of art.

If you want to see what guns are "best" if best means easiest to shoot and hit the target, start going to sporting clay competitions and notice what all the best shooters are using. They even claim that over and unders are the best of the doubles because there are certain angles where targets are blocked out for an instant by the wider side by sides.

I was raised by my dad to love old American doubles and all the history attached to them - Parker's, Smiths, Foxes, Lefevres, etc. I own a few but don't hunt with them much anymore. I usually use a beater pump action.

I do think carrying an old double with a lot of history attached to it does add a touch of class and personality to any hunt. I like guns with some history. Functionally, I don't see much of difference, the difference to me is intangible.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back