Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

What's On Your Phone?

Northeast Oregon elk hunt with my son.

Hard to kill an elk when you hunt like this.

IMG_20221108_120350439_HDR.jpg

"Take a picture of me standing next to this giant elk track in the snow."

IMG_20221107_103511363.jpg

This was my view on the last evening. The sun was setting behind me, and I could see elk in 9 different places. There was nothing I could chase, but it just made me feel good.

IMG_20221110_155233784_HDR.jpg

QQ

Don't think it is a bear, they have 5 toes (no dew claw).
Thanks for that Brent nice little lesson there, I'll keep that in mind now.

A few people said wolf or coyote. As far as I know there are not supposed to be any wolves in that area, however there are established packs of mexican grey wolves a couple hrs south and I'm sure a wolf could push down from up north. The track was pretty damn big definitely bigger than my fist which is why I though lion or bear. Definitely lion country out there.

Appreciate all the insight yall

A few people said wolf or coyote. As far as I know there are not supposed to be any wolves in that area, however there are established packs of mexican grey wolves a couple hrs south and I'm sure a wolf could push down from up north. The track was pretty damn big definitely bigger than my fist which is why I though lion or bear. Definitely lion country out there.

Lion tracks asymmetric, and have three lobes on the back of the heels. Those definitely look canine to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lion tracks asymmetric, and have three loves on the back of the heels. Those definitely look canine to me.
Appreciate it hearbeatofamericafreak I'm learning all kinds if stuff here.

I was just reading the article @Valley1320 posted about coyotes and mexican gray wolves in another thread and the area I was in was in the Mexican gray wolf management zone.

Last edited:
In the moment, Sunrises, Sunsets and Meals seem so awesome right then. I think it is because we are truly happy at that time. Later you look back at the photos and forget the emotion of the moment, but a select few it brings it right back...

IMG_7620.JPG
A breakfast burrito in an Aspen grove. Must have been After the kill since it's hot and daylight.

IMG_7514.JPG

Listening to Ray Wylie Hubbard on Outlaw Radio with the sun coming up between Ely and Delta.

Around that corner, I saw:

Tracks on snow melt outwards and quickly look huge. My golden leaves prints that can be pretty wolflike in a day.

Sometimes bears' front pinky toes do not print well.

What @HeartbeatofAmerica Freak said about 3 lobes on the back of the maon pad for cats is spot on. They are rounder overall than dogs.

But all of this is hard to see because tracks are rarely perfect.

25208613-FC04-43B9-83AC-FEAADFA8C345.jpegBD5CD89C-992C-4F46-A95B-2C65968253F3.jpeg9915191A-E2BA-4687-B1B9-1E164D604BE9.jpegD655C97B-EDD3-4ECB-907A-6935D8F9FFBD.jpegDC625B3D-F88C-41A9-B58F-9759912DAFC3.jpegB4D69221-8296-4C63-B1EC-C8A572CF010A.jpegB808BA0C-9B0B-42C5-9350-6ACE3D27576E.jpeg
1) Pic from back porch a few days ago.
2) Near where I killed my muley this season.
3) Morning of my wife's first elk hunt this year.
4) View on the way to town from our house a few weeks ago.
5) One of my mule deer spots.
6) Early snow in the Bighorns this season.
7) On my way in to elk hunt this season.

Last edited:
Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back