Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

What's on your bow sight for pins/ranges?

The Hedgehog

Straight to the pig pen with this one. What kind of sight do you use, how many pins, what ranges? If you've got a slider, how far will it go, and how far have you practiced with it at?

Not judging.. :D

I have a black gold 7 pin. It works for me. All pins are the bright fluorescent green with exception of the center pin which is set at 70 yards - that one's red. I've started using fixed pins in 1983. 10, 20, 30 40. to start. Then I stretched them out about a decade later. Then, in about 2001 I felt the simplistic, holier than though need to just use 3 pins, 20, 40 60. I learned that was a bad idea the very next year. Now I have 7 pins and have been there for about a decade - 20, 40, 60, a red 70, then 80, 90, 100. I practice using all of them, usually, plenty. Would almost never take a first shot at an animal using those bottom pins, but it's the infrequent times that a follow-up shot at a longer range could come into use - that's the main reason why I have them. Also, when you can hit a beer can at 100 yards, you're usually good to go under good conditions at ranges under 50. Being able to practice at longer distances opens up your eyes to shooting flaws and what poor conditions can do to a shot. My opinion and that's what on my bow.

What's on yours?

I have a Spot Hogg 5 pin. Farthest pin is 60 yards. I practice out to 60 but I have no illusions that I am proficient at that range.

Older Spot Hogg Hunter (circa 2005)

5 pins

20,30,40,50 and 60. I practice a lot (IMO) and don’t have a desire to take a first shot over 50. I pretty much keep the 60 yard one for the just in case follow up. I have thought about going to a five pin slider just for follow ups beyond 60

Depends on the bow Im using and what species Im after at the moment. It might be all homemade trad and no sight or it might be a 5 pin Copper John Dead nuts pro. I bought 4 of them for different arrow weights and species and because they have a dovetail I can swap arrows and sights and be hunting dual walled aluminum 700 grain arrows now and quickly change to carbon and 550 grain with little effort.

I practice with a compound out to 100 yards all year but just because its fun. (I enjoy archery) but I dont Bowhunt out to those distances. The furthest distance I sent an arrow into a big game animal was 65 yards. When I hunt with a compound I use a rangefinder so I know the yardage and the arrow path of all my setups.

Whatever came on my, "RTH" (Think it's Trophy Ridge or Black Gold) Bear bow. 20-30-40-50 yards. I removed the 5th.
I've thought about a 70 yard pin as I've wished to sling another after a cow call or two has stopped the rut horney bull though not done such... yet.

4: 20, 30, 40, 50 yards but I won't take a shot over 40 except at the range. I just aint' good enough or don't practice enough to take long shots. Sometimes I think I should just go trad :)

Montana black gold 7 pin with .019 pinhead size. I have them sighted 20-80 yards. This sight is quite possibly the most solid piece of hunting equipment I own. Tuff as nails. If you ever find a way to break anything on it, their customer service is pretty unbeatable.

I have a Spott Hogg SDP sight set at 20,30,40,50,60,70,80. The last three are reserved for practice (agree completely on form flaws) or attempting to resolve a first shot went horribly awry.

5 pin Black Gold Ascent Verdict. Pins alternate green, red, green, red, green. 20,30,40,50 and 60 are where my pins are sighted in for but I can get all the way to 113 before my vanes have clearance issue with pin housing and vanes. I regularly practice at the farther distacnes, which makes the closer shots seem easier. Max in the field range is 80. Most times I can keep my groups in a 5'' circle at ranges of 100.

Black Gold Ascent 3 pin 30 40 50 can get out to 125ish with the sight until my veins don't clear.it does make it nice to practice with and opens up a whole different perspective at shooting 50 and 60.

Effective hunting distance confident to 60.

Black Gold fixed 20/30/40/50/60. Been running it for five years and it has been dead nuts accurate with every arrow change. I should add some distance for practice, but I have not been held back in any hunting scenario (yet) by being confident out to 60.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back