What’s on tap for dinner this Christmas Eve?

I am the primary cook around our place. I am fairly skilled at it and the spouse is ...er um.....a good BAKER.....we'll leave it at that. Both of our family's are very German (I am a Born and she is a Schlicht) so since the kids were little we have made it a tradition for me to cook German food on Christmas Eve. The last several years that has evolved further into a menu of Jaeger Schnitzel, scratch made spaetzle and rotkohl. This year it will be accompanied by some Viking's Blot mead from Denmark.

Tomorrow I will fire up the Traeger and smoke/roast a rib roast to be accompanied with baked potatoes and sweet corn. Appetizers will be homemade queso/chips and a port wine cheese ball.

I really enjoy cooking, especially for my kids.

I'll try for pics later.....

BTW, have a cheerful eve and beware of Krampus!!!!!

Just us at home with the boys today so tons of snacks that's it. Shrimp cocktail, cheese n Sausage, relish trays. Beer for me and mimosa for the wife. Saving room for all the food at grandma's house tomorrow.

Christmas Eve is always oyster stew and something else like gumbo or crawfish/shrimp Étouffée over at my parents. Plus more appetizers and homemade junk food than we can handle. Usually Christmas Day it’s traditional ham and all the fixings but this year my wife requested my creole shrimp in cream sauce over cheddar grits! I can hear my arteries clogging with the amount of butter about to be consumed!

The last several years that has evolved further into a menu of Jaeger Schnitzel, scratch made spaetzle and rotkohl.
Do you use one of those hand crank spaetzle makers to make your spaetzle? I inherited my Slovakian grandmother’s hand cranked spaetzle maker and have used it a few times but need to bust it out more often to make her homemade haluski recipe.

Both of our family's are very German (I am a Born and she is a Schlicht) so since the kids were little we have made it a tradition for me to cook German food on Christmas Eve. The last several years that has evolved further into a menu of Jaeger Schnitzel, scratch made spaetzle and rotkohl. This year it will be accompanied by some Viking's Blot mead from Denmark.
You have my attention! 100% German myself

I want BHR's and Gellar's seafood lasagna recipe myslef!!

As for the Whiskey Butter if anyone is interested:

2 sticks unsalted butter
2 shallots, soaked overnight in whiskey (Locally sourced spirits lol)
3 teaspoons minced parsley
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire
4 teaspoons whiskey (I use what’s left from the shallot soak)
+ 1 shot for myself (optional?...no, not really)
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
Ground white pepper to taste

Combine butter, shallot, parsley, mustard, Worcestershire, whiskey, salt, and white pepper.
Mix well and drop butter in spoonfuls onto waxed paper.
Roll in plastic and smooth out to form a round log.
Refrigerate until hard and easy to cut, at least 3 hours.
Stores in the refrigerator for up to 1 week, or freeze for up to 3 months.

View attachment 206473
Holy cow man!!! I just made that sauce to put on our prime rib, except I of course couldn't let the shallots marinate over night. That stuff is GOOD!!!

Back