Whatever you do, get out of your truck as little as possible. That end justifies all means.

About 100 of these were laying in a side by side path around a gate on a chunk of private my son and I had permission to hunt this season in SW Wyo. Interesting part was it was as easy as a phone call to get permission. Had seen multiple people taking sxs around the gate. View attachment 203415
I understand people getting frustrated, but that would seriously piss me off to have a dog step on one of those!! Heck, what about some guy taking a young kid out who may not have super sturdy boots that could stop one of those from going into their foot??

I understand people getting frustrated, but that would seriously piss me off to have a dog step on one of those!! Heck, what about some guy taking a young kid out who may not have super sturdy boots that could stop one of those from going into their foot??

From @mulecreek 's post, I see that this is private ground. I would hope the landowner would warn those who properly had permission to be on that land.

And a big schadenfreude hope that those folks bypassing the gate (presumed trespassers) discover those spikes in their tires.

From @mulecreek 's post, I see that this is private ground. I would hope the landowner would warn those who properly had permission to be on that land.

And a big schadenfreude hope that those folks bypassing the gate (presumed trespassers) discover those spikes in their tires.
Touché

Here’s a brief one. Large Nonresident landowner enrolls his land in BMA in hopes that people will respect his rules(walk in only) and hopefully keep tabs on each other. He literally had trespassers or guys breaking the rules almost everyday this season. 1 guy poaches a sheep; people trying to drive in after dark to get elk out; people off roading. Hunters are their own worst enemies…guarantee that land is never a BMA again.

Here’s a brief one. Large Nonresident landowner enrolls his land in BMA in hopes that people will respect his rules(walk in only) and hopefully keep tabs on each other. He literally had trespassers or guys breaking the rules almost everyday this season. 1 guy poaches a sheep; people trying to drive in after dark to get elk out; people off roading. Hunters are their own worst enemies…guarantee that land is never a BMA again.
Did other sign in hunters solve those crimes? With no one watching out for the place would he really be better off without those extra eyes? Or would the abuse be worse? Personally, I'm a real SOB when I see turds abusing BMA property. Might get me shot someday, but I would consider it dying for my country. If you don't try do something about it you're no better than the slob violator.

Did other sign in hunters solve those crimes? With no one watching out for the place would he really be better off without those extra eyes? Or would the abuse be worse? Personally, I'm a real SOB when I see turds abusing BMA property. Might get me shot someday, but I would consider it dying for my country. If you don't try do something about it you're no better than the slob violator.
Yes one coupled solved the sheep crime. In the past this landowner has allowed access and also hired someone to patrol and manage the hunting. He thought it may be a little easier if it was in BMA. The abuse of the land and poaching wasn’t worth the hastle. He will still have hunters around, they will just be people that he trusts as opposed to random hunters.

The sad truth is if you let people on that you do not know and trust you will get burned some time down the road.

The ATV guys don't even have a clue how much game they're not seeing by driving those things. They're probably my biggest pet peeve. The guy cracking off 800 yard shots with zero chance of success then never going to see if he hit something is a-hole 1a.

As Americans get fatter and lazier we'll see more and more of this type of stuff.

That is square miles not acres out west.
250k square miles is the size of Texas, but I get your point.

An eastern game wardens coverage area is +/- 400 sq miles, a western warden is probably more like 1600 sq miles. It's not all about the geographic area however. More people = more problems

The thread title is appropriate. The ends justify the means. I guess illegally throwing a bunch of spikes on a closed trail/road is somehow better than illegally riding on the closed trail/road with a truck or atv? Until the sorry shit legally riding a horse in there has a horse step on it and goes for a ride? :rolleyes: Or the person legally walking their dog on the trail gets to pull that crap out of a paw?
I'm not condoning or justifying the use of jack rocks. However, the SxS trail is on private as well. The landowner has a gate across a good road. There is not fence on either side of the gate since its at a steep section so it would take a serious full size rig to get around it but the SxS's make it just fine. About 2' from the gate post is another post, before the edge falls off to nothing. Perfectly set up to allow a person on foot to walk through but not allow SxS's or quads to pass. The landowner has also create a turnaround and a small parking area at the gate. This is where I left my truck. Curiously, no jack rocks were on the main road or around my truck. At the gate is a well maintained sign letting you know its private. The landowner also has a camera posted at the gate to see who is coming and going.

IMO the landowner has gone out of his way to provide access for those he allows, and gone out of his way to make sure people know its private. The landowner was very gracious to let us hunt and does so for a few other places he owns in the area. I doubt highly that anyone or dog is going to cut their foot on any of these spikes. While I wouldn't personally put spikes out, I can see how a person could get driven to this point. Who knows maybe it was someone else he gave permission to that got tired of walking their butt into this canyon just to watch a parade of SxS's pass. Either way sometimes karma bites you square in the ass.

I have no issue with private owners booby trapping their own private land, I should have been more clear in my post. Personally, it seems short sighted, but it's not my land and I'm not dealing with the nonsense that this owner deals with. But, setting this crap out on public roads, trails, or areas which are closed to vehicles can and will have negative consequences for people using those areas legally without vehicles. Any thread lately with "ATV" in it devolves into some vigilante justice circle jerk where folks are letting air out of tires, putting foam in gas tanks, etc. At least those (also illegal actions) targeted specific violators/instances. These spikes do not.
I hope that clarifies it a bit. :)

Polaris just released their Ranger XP Kinetic ELECTRIC. So i assume the electric motors are gonna create more problems with people sneaking into areas without the noise.

I got shot over in WA this year not once, not twice, but THREE damn times. I lost my cool when my PTSD kicked in and i took off my hunter's orange... Yeah, not my most proud moment, but fudge man, I got kids!~
WA is kind of messed up though, and I never really thought about it. I am a disabled veteran, and i dont have a lot of options when applying for my branch antlered elk tags, but the tags for the disabled hunt? I choose to hunt Archery or Muzzleloader to give myself a challenge, I will not let my disability define me - but here in this state, they force the disabled person to hunt NOT at the same time as those seasons (which would make sense wouldn't it? Archery with Archery, and so on) but ALL of them at the same time, with able-bodied hunters during modern firearm season... so- I am sure many of you see where this is going.
I was 185 yards from my bull with my muzzleloader, he was one of the biggest I have ever seen in the state, I had worked him all of deer season, keeping my scent out of his face, watching him, learning his pattern - so opening morning he was coming in exactly where I needed him for 150 yard broadside shot... NOPE. BOOM BOOM BOOM, three shots over my head, by some moron who said he was 485 yards away... yeah, 300 yards away from a hunter wearing hunters orange and he couldn't see me, and I had done all the work, made my way in... I was frustrated.
The second time was a little different, I made my way into the thick nasty stuff where he was bedding down, to push him up a little so i could see him when he made his way down to drink, and shots came from the lip of the canyon above me - MAYBE they couldn't see me... MAYBE.
The third one was the SAME guy as the first one... I am not going to get into what happened, it wasn't my best hour.
Saddest part, that Bull is still running around in the hills now - couldn't get the job done after he got shot at so many times. 10 years down the drain - NOW if you want to laugh, I passed on a 4X4 elk that literally almost ran me over (less than 10 feet), and a 5X6 that looked REALLY nice, but I just couldn't pull the trigger knowing I had put the big bull to bed that morning... I get a special cow elk hunt so hopefully my freezer gets filled, but I am so tired of the unethical bullshit I have had to deal with, especially because WA doesn't recognize disabled hunters as being capable humans, pisses me off.

I have no issue with private owners booby trapping their own private land, I should have been more clear in my post. Personally, it seems short sighted, but it's not my land and I'm not dealing with the nonsense that this owner deals with. But, setting this crap out on public roads, trails, or areas which are closed to vehicles can and will have negative consequences for people using those areas legally without vehicles. Any thread lately with "ATV" in it devolves into some vigilante justice circle jerk where folks are letting air out of tires, putting foam in gas tanks, etc. At least those (also illegal actions) targeted specific violators/instances. These spikes do not.
I hope that clarifies it a bit. :)
Take a look at what the law and the courts have to say about booby traps. I have significant issues with this. You can't set a booby trap to get the bad guy, in any way shape or form. What about someone who steps up the trail a few feet to take a leak, and puts one of these through his foot? My setting foot on your land is worth you intentionally injuring me, potentially severely? This would be a civil attorney's dream case, no effort required at all.

Take a look at what the law and the courts have to say about booby traps. I have significant issues with this. You can't set a booby trap to get the bad guy, in any way shape or form. What about someone who steps up the trail a few feet to take a leak, and puts one of these through his foot? My setting foot on your land is worth you intentionally injuring me, potentially severely? This would be a civil attorney's dream case, no effort required at all.
That is what I have always understood. Booby traps are a very good way to get your a$$ sued off, and there are people looking for the opportunity.

All this bad behavior everyone is describing seems to get amplified during antelope season. My GF is relatively new to hunting and has been champing at the bit to go on an antelope hunt next year (she hasn't been on one before). I've been subtly putting it off saying "Let's keep building points to draw a decent unit." What what I really mean is "Let's try to get into a unit with much fewer people so you don't get turned off of hunting forever by seeing the awful crap people are capable of doing from the roadside."

All this bad behavior everyone is describing seems to get amplified during antelope season. My GF is relatively new to hunting and has been champing at the bit to go on an antelope hunt next year (she hasn't been on one before). I've been subtly putting it off saying "Let's keep building points to draw a decent unit." What what I really mean is "Let's try to get into a unit with much fewer people so you don't get turned off of hunting forever by seeing the awful crap people are capable of doing from the roadside."
The sound of stray bullets whizzing over your head in any easy draw antelope district isn’t for the faint of heart!

The sound of stray bullets whizzing over your head in any easy draw antelope district isn’t for the faint of heart!
Gotta toughen her (and myself) up with some good old fashioned road hunting in a popular area during the general deer & elk season first. ;)

Back