What would you do? Flying neighbor.

Every fall I return to Montana Hi Line to hunt. The RV trailer court and two motels I stay at are situated within a stone's throw of BNSF tracks. I just phase out the train racket and don't even notice. The RV place and one of the motels are within earshot of municipal rail crossings. Yep, CLANG, CLANG, CLANG day and I night and I don't even notice.

I live in town so bylaws protect me and my property values from unruly slobs (and contractors who cut corners). I love the outdoors too much to plant my alien arse on it year round. Everyone having their little piece of the "Last Best Place" has ruined Montana. I'm a multimillionaire (not counting real estate) and could easily buy a decent size ranch to lease out for grazing or chop up into useless little Cabelas size hunting paradises with McMansions on every quarter section. But I'll stay in town here and be a visitor to Montana as long as I can make the 25 hr drive. That way I can still look myself in the mirror on my dying day and know I wasn't part of the problem. The downside is refusing to be a transplant land wrecker will exclude me from Montana politics. Or maybe it's an upside? Eventually (probably sooner than later) my reluctance to be another transplant invader will probably also exclude me from hunting in Montana. Oh well, I'm about at the end if that rope anyway. I can only mourn for the next generation who won't know what they've lost.
No disrespect but why with the resources to get out of a city, why wouldn't you? I'm middle class as it gets and couldn't have become more happy leaving the city 8 years ago. I honestly don't even like driving through cities, well except for the occasional gambling trip to Vegas. I guess maybe we should be thankful the large majority of people love the city life.

No restrictions can be great or not so great. My buddy and his wife built a new house what they thought was a peaceful country ranch. Three years later its neighbors shooting at all times of the day and night and nonstop atv noise all weekend. They moved from a very quite subdivision on a golf course. I suggested they build a small cabin type place to hang out at the ranch property and keep the place in town. But they wanted to live out there. Besides the noise the neighbors got crap parked all over and its getting to look junky. My buddy went from a ten minute drive to our office to a 45-hour drive one way. He pretty much gave up hunting to be a ranch hand.

Not what I expected.
Thanks Karen's.
I guess I need to review my Win/Win notes and verbal judo skills, from admin/corperate.
To those that almost seem to delight in my plight,
May Don Lemon & Tucker run off together,to build a space launch weekend retreat & wayward teen camp,next door to you.

John Cushman you are the only one who did not let me down.
My 1st thought with OS knowledge,sending & receiving.
May you find the peace & quite,solitude that I have found. Keep fighting the demons bro.

This is what will probably happen.
They will leave,like the last asshole. Most do.
I will maybe see them once in a while on the road. I can't see them from here.
They will leave after 1st monsoon or winter thaw.
They will not find anyone to build a strip for years.
They will bury the things 1st time they land/take off after a monsoon or on a thaw.
They will be blown into the mesa or ground on a calm day by one of our common downbursts,or a dustdevil hits them.
There is nothing here,they will leave.

One can hope a supertanker comes treetopping over the mesa on it's way to a fire like yesterday......as they take off.
Common for military flights to wind between these mesas too.

What? It's a win win.

I guess if you want to tell them what he can and can’t do on that property you should buy it.

you should take the advice of people saying you should go talk to them.

I know a couple with a airstrip on their property and it’s not registered with the FAA... it doesn’t have to be.

Hank, as my old hunting buddy used to say, “there ain’t no Utopia”. Best of luck with your slice of paradise.

I think neighbors with a couple of teenagers who each have a Honda CRF250 would be much more annoying.
A little off topic but it is amazing at how those who own such dirt bikes and ATVs never seem to ride on their own land. I’ll take a guy who flies over the atv crowd.

No disrespect but why with the resources to get out of a city, why wouldn't you? I'm middle class as it gets and couldn't have become more happy leaving the city 8 years ago. I honestly don't even like driving through cities, well except for the occasional gambling trip to Vegas. I guess maybe we should be thankful the large majority of people love the city life.
I don't like cities either. This place is about 110K but not hard to get around. Fortunately, not a lot of the rural cannibalism going on here, not like western Montana anyway. I live on a street that's a block long with pretty good neighbours. Noise ordinances keep the loud parties and barking dog problems in control. I have a view of my long front yard with scarlet maple and blooming lilacs and ornamental crab. The houses on my neighbourhood's almost no traffic street are all about 80 years old modest 1-2 bedroom. Not spectacular but well kept. Good working class folks live here. Grocery store is about two mile walk. Everything I need, from hardware stores to Walmart (three of them!), are no more than fifteen minute drive. When my wife was alive her workplace was ten minutes from home. I did my MA there. The district hospital, complete with medical school, is across the street from the university. Fishing opportunities are virtually unlimited. I could hit a different lake every weekend for the rest of my life and not drive more than a hundred miles from the house. No worries about corner crossings and game hog transplant pseudo ranchers. Everything is crown land here. Still some moose hunting to be had ... if you join a merry band of fifteen party hunters. Not my thing. Waterfowl hunting is twenty to forty minutes from my house. Most years I can shoot a limit of honkers any morning I choose to hunt during September and October. No lease, no deeded property, no layout blind needed. Farmers are pretty much all very friendly and let anyone hunt who asks.

I have lived in some big cities. Not my thing either. But as I said, I always made it back to the fields, lakes, rivers, and wilderness to reconnect. Sticking a house on it is not reconnecting. It's smothering it with me and my artificial stuff. I'm much more content with my conscience if I drive off when I'm done and leave it to the plants and animals for the rest of the year. I would put up with living in a high rise in Minneapolis before buying a piece of property in Montana wilderness and corrupting it with a house. I knew Montana's Flathead Valley when it was truly the "last best place". I grew up there. What a rat race it's become! All because everyone has to have their new home in the country. I'm not going to be part of that blight.

Not what I expected.
Thanks Karen's.
I guess I need to review my Win/Win notes and verbal judo skills, from admin/corperate.
To those that almost seem to delight in my plight,
May Don Lemon & Tucker run off together,to build a space launch weekend retreat & wayward teen camp,next door to you.

John Cushman you are the only one who did not let me down.
My 1st thought with OS knowledge,sending & receiving.
May you find the peace & quite,solitude that I have found. Keep fighting the demons bro.

This is what will probably happen.
They will leave,like the last asshole. Most do.
I will maybe see them once in a while on the road. I can't see them from here.
They will leave after 1st monsoon or winter thaw.
They will not find anyone to build a strip for years.
They will bury the things 1st time they land/take off after a monsoon or on a thaw.
They will be blown into the mesa or ground on a calm day by one of our common downbursts,or a dustdevil hits them.
There is nothing here,they will leave.

One can hope a supertanker comes treetopping over the mesa on it's way to a fire like yesterday......as they take off.
Common for military flights to wind between these mesas too.

What? It's a win win.
I'm beginning to think there's a bigger problem in your neighborhood than the guys with the airplane. Glad I don't live there.

God I hate neighbors. Never had em as a kid. My kids wont either, no matter what it takes. Lived with my wife for like 6 months in town at her house before we got married. Never again
Same boat dude.
Hope I never have to move to town.
ever.
I have 1 neighbor to the north and one to the south with 5 acre tracts.
I have 1.25 sandwiched in the middle.
plenty of company for me.

Same boat dude.
Hope I never have to move to town.
ever.
I have 1 neighbor to the north and one to the south with 5 acre tracts.
I have 1.25 sandwiched in the middle.
plenty of company for me.
Wife is probably ready to shoot me, we've looked at several houses that checked off everything she could dream of but there is usually a neighbor on at least one side. She knows I wont do it.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back