MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

What to do with ammo remnants?

2rocky

Over the years I've tried various factory loads and inevitably they discontinue the bullet/caliber combination so I find another load and so on...As a result I end up with small amounts of cartridges with different bullet weights and types. What do folks do with these small lots that they may not use again since they will have a different POI than the latest load they have? My rifle barrel has been broken in, so I don't need "fouling ammo"

Over the years I've tried various factory loads and inevitably they discontinue the bullet/caliber combination so I find another load and so on...As a result I end up with small amounts of cartridges with different bullet weights and types. What do folks do with these small lots that they may not use again since they will have a different POI than the latest load they have? My rifle barrel has been broken in, so I don't need "fouling ammo"
Similar situation. If you have multiple platforms in those calibers use it for plinking ammo or give it to the kids to shoot

Just curious about a broken in barrel comment. I was always taught that even a broken in barrel should have a "fouling shot or two ran through it before shooting or hunting. That is the reason I keep all rounds that I no longer use to hunt with. Not trying to hijack your post just curious.

I keep a small MTM box for each caliber, then use it for foulers after a good cleaning, or as “get on paper” shots after swapping an optic.

Or just burn it doing field position practice.

My pet peeve is having all the different headstamp brass hanging around. My OCD won’t let me just toss it in with my current loads, but it’s not enough to take and build a separate load with and my cheap skate side says I can’t throw it away.

"Fouling" ammo isn't for just barrel break in.
After you've cleaned every last speck of copper from your barrel, you'll find out it doesn't shoot as well untill there is a certain amount of copper put back in the barrel.
How much depends upon the barrel.
I have one Ruger that won't group to my liking untill i get about 20 rounds down the tube.
Another Ruger likes 5.

As far as the accelerators go, a saboted round does nothing for putting more copper in the barrel. Leaves plastic instead.
And don't shoot them through a muzzle brake.

Couple thing's I think. First I'd make sure that going to different ammo the POI changed! You might wait and shoot the new ammo without adjusting the sight's right away and see. When I had my 6.5x06 done My plan was to use the 140gr Nosler partition in it. Well broke the gun in with 140gr Hornadys, I can afford them. Once It was broke in I tried the 140gr Noslers with the same load and they shot to the same exact POI as the Hornadys! never know till you try. If they don't, practice rounds before you change the sight settings. I think most serious shooter's shoot a lot more than they need just to feel the rifle fire! Another thing, your rifle is already sighted in to the old loads? Hunt with them till there's just a few left and then go with the new loads! The ammo your talking about is no problem at all

First I'd make sure that going to different ammo the POI changed!

I'm pretty sure going from 180 gr. to 165 gr copper is going to change POI.

Some are 150 gr Core loct. I'm in a state that requires copper. I had those for hunting blacktails. They would be good Antelope rounds.

I need to go inventory what I have.

After I clean my barrel I shoot 2 or 3 fouling rounds before going hunting. That is my main use for them. Or if I'm running low on my preferred load, which happens pretty often, I'll bring the remnant ammo as back up in the field.

Back