What to do in Maine?

Wild Bill

I’ve got a flight voucher that needs to be booked by EOY and my wife has always wanted to go to Maine. What’s there to do in that neck of the woods? Any fishing opportunities? Probably going to be a kid or late summer trip.
Give me the down and dirty.
Thanks.

I’ve got a flight voucher that needs to be booked by EOY and my wife has always wanted to go to Maine. What’s there to do in that neck of the woods? Any fishing opportunities? Probably going to be a kid or late summer trip.
Give me the down and dirty.
Thanks.
You can get on some decent striper fishing along the coast, but you may need to hire a guide to really take advantage of that. I'm guessing that your wife is more attracted to the coastal part of Maine? If not, there's some great fishing for trout and landlocked salmon in northern Maine.

You can get on some decent striper fishing along the coast, but you may need to hire a guide to really take advantage of that. I'm guessing that your wife is more attracted to the coastal part of Maine? If not, there's some great fishing for trout and landlocked salmon in northern Maine.
Yeah, she's more into the coastal stuff I'm thinking.

Yeah, she's more into the coastal stuff I'm thin

all this thread has me thinking about is maine looks to be yet another state with otc antlered deer tags for 1/4 the cost of western NR tags and what looks to be plenty of public land...
It is. Last time I hunted there, I think my non-resident buck tag was $100. But it is far from easy... It's actually an interesting state to hunt in. Almost all of northern Maine is owned by a few timber companies who allow public hunting. So, there's actually very little public land, but almost all of it is publicly accessible.

It is. Last time I hunted there, I think my non-resident buck tag was $100. But it is far from easy... It's actually an interesting state to hunt in. Almost all of northern Maine is owned by a few timber companies who allow public hunting. So, there's actually very little public land, but almost all of it is publicly accessible.

how long ago was that? they look to be 125 now.

i'm developing a lust to keep going east for deer tags. always wanted to see maine too.

look like for 40 bucks you can shoot a bear while deer hunting.

how long ago was that? they look to be 125 now.

i'm developing a lust to keep going east for deer tags. always wanted to see maine too.

look like for 40 bucks you can shoot a bear while deer hunting.
Dude, the world is your oyster. Pick a state and go! In New York, it is literally impossible to buy a deer tag without getting a "free" bear tag thrown in. :ROFLMAO:
All seriousness: Maine is a beautiful state, as is New Hampshire, Vermont, northern NY, etc. It's cheap and there's land aplenty, but it can be really tough hunting. Feel free to PM me if you're ever headed out this way and I'm happy to give advice, for what it's worth.

Sorry for the diversion to your thread, OP!

Last edited:
Dude, the world is your oyster. Pick a state and go! In New York, it is literally impossible to buy a deer tag without getting a "free" bear tag thrown in. :ROFLMAO:
All seriousness: Maine is a beautiful state, as is New Hampshire, Vermont, northern NY, etc. It's cheap and there's land aplenty, but it can be really tough hunting. Feel free to PM me if you're ever headed out this way and I'm happy to give advice, for what it's worth.

Sorry for the diversion to your thread, OP!

i sure hope to take you up on that offer sometime before long!

along with me prodding my wife to have us move to wisconsin, i threw in a new option over the weekend of buying land in vermont to go be sugarmakers and we shoot deer in the offseason.

i wish they were called treetappers instead. oh well.

i sure hope to take you up on that offer sometime before long!

along with me prodding my wife to have us move to wisconsin, i threw in a new option over the weekend of buying land in vermont to go be sugarmakers and we shoot deer in the offseason.

i wish they were called treetappers instead. oh well.
Sounds like a good dream. You in a few years..?

My best advice is stay out of Bar Harbor and Portland. We did Acadia, and it's beautiful, but we did it early in the morning before it got crazy. You will need a reservation to get up to Cadillac mountain.
We did a lobster boat tour out of Corea harbor which was a good time, saw seals, puffins and eider ducks and got a lobster to take over to the restaurant across the harbor for a great water front lunch.
Kittery Trading Post is well worth a stop, we both liked it better than LL Bean. I did sign the wife up for an introduction to clays shooting at LL Bean, which I'm glad she did, at least to broaden her horizons, she broke a few birds but doesn't feel the need to do it again.
I did a morning trip with a guide on the Pennobscot for small mouth, it was enjoyable and I'd do it again. Didn't get into anything big but caught 30+ fish in a 4 hour trip.
We booked a cottage on a lake and enjoyed swimming from the included dock and listening to the loons in the morning and evening as we set out of the deck.
We both enjoyed Maine immensely and we will be back for sure.

I would suggest a vacation at Libby Camps. They are in the north Maine Woods, the closest true town is Ashland Maine. They have some beautiful rustic cabins on Millinockett Lake, your Mrs may like, hot and cold running water/showers and otherwise comfortable. The food is great, the staff is great and the area can reveal moose, deer, bears and all sorts of birds from grouse to eagles. Fly fishing for brook trout on the ponds is second to none and the guides are all top notch. Depending on the spring run off and timing land locked salmon in the streams and rivers is very good. Www.libbycamps.com Ive been going for over 30 years.

I would suggest a vacation at Libby Camps. They are in the north Maine Woods, the closest true town is Ashland Maine. They have some beautiful rustic cabins on Millinockett Lake, your Mrs may like, hot and cold running water/showers and otherwise comfortable. The food is great, the staff is great and the area can reveal moose, deer, bears and all sorts of birds from grouse to eagles. Fly fishing for brook trout on the ponds is second to none and the guides are all top notch. Depending on the spring run off and timing land locked salmon in the streams and rivers is very good. Www.libbycamps.com Ive been going for over 30 years.
Similar idea, but farther west, one of my favorite spots in the state: https://www.cobbspiercepondcamps.com/

I would look at going to Acadia National park and the midcoast area. Plenty of hiking, boating, and fishing. You can also go inland to the Katahdin woods and water national monument.
I prefer midcoast Maine the best, Bar Harbor being the one place to avoid (which is easy to do). I'd also encourage you to go the the lesser visited Schoodic Point portion of Acadia. I've spent a lot of time on the Maine coast since my childhood. My almost 95 yo father still lives on Frenchman's Bay. One of my favorite paces on the planet...

View from my dad's place.

Don’t skip Bar Harbor! It’s a fun time. Take in the sunset from the docks. Walk the sandbar at low tide. Boothbay too. See the lobster boats come in. Hike and explore beaches in Acadia, Cadillac Mountain, tidal pools, etc. Take a boat to see Egg Rock puffins, visit a heath bog, eat lots of lobster and lobster rolls, hike the start of the Appalachian Trail on Katahdin, see moose, fish for mackerel, canoe and kayak virtually anywhere, listen to the loons, collect mussels from shore to eat, blueberries if in season, go antiquing, stop at garage sales, shop for a hand-carved decoy, go to LL Bean, look into all the pottery shops, hit some breweries, drink a blueberry ale. Its overall a chill, fun place to visit.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idelkhntr13
Back