Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

What to do in Maine?

Don’t skip Bar Harbor! It’s a fun time. Take in the sunset from the docks. Walk the sandbar at low tide. Boothbay too. See the lobster boats come in. Hike and explore beaches in Acadia, Cadillac Mountain, tidal pools, etc. Take a boat to see Egg Rock puffins, visit a heath bog, eat lots of lobster and lobster rolls, hike the start of the Appalachian Trail on Katahdin, see moose, fish for mackerel, canoe and kayak virtually anywhere, listen to the loons, collect mussels from shore to eat, blueberries if in season, go antiquing, stop at garage sales, shop for a hand-carved decoy, go to LL Bean, look into all the pottery shops, hit some breweries, drink a blueberry ale. Its overall a chill, fun place to visit.
I’ll have to disagree on Bar Harbor, but yeah - go see Egg Rock Lighthouse. I spent a lot of foggy summer days listening to it! It’s just off the frame in my pic above. Take the Ferry from Bar Harbor to Winter Harbor. Go eat crab rolls in Corea.

You’re gonna fly into Logan and rent a car, so on your way up stop in the flagship LL Bean, it’s their only store that still sells guns and ammo lots of cool taxidermy.

Like the others have said, if you are staying more along the coast definitely stop at Kittery Trading Post and LL Bean. Eat some lobster. If you are looking for a Striper trip look up Reel Nice Surprise on Facebook (They are based out of Wells). Jeff is a fantastic Captain with a beautiful boat that he bought after retiring from The Air Force after 36ish years.

I'd skip Logan and fly in to Portland or Bangor. Much less of a hassle but you do miss the NH state liquor stores...
That would be my plan. I'd skip the Southern Coast including Kittery, and head right to points Down East. Monhegan is a worthwhile detour. Inland Maine is wonderful, but that's a whole other trip really.

Thanks for all the input, folks. I've noted and passed it all on to the boss.

We did a road trip all the way up to Maine and back a couple years ago. Followed the coast on the way up, paralleled the border with Canada on the way back down. Saw Kittery and Mt. Katahdin in Maine.

My experience was, for all the northeastern states, people along the coast suck. Rude, bad-driving a-holes. Wouldn’t even look at you or return your greeting when met on a 2’ wide hiking trail. Further away from the coast, in the rural areas, people were as friendly as anywhere.

My experience was, for all the northeastern states, people along the coast suck. Rude, bad-driving a-holes. Wouldn’t even look at you or return your greeting when met on a 2’ wide hiking trail
My New England wife says "go eff yourself you frigging redneck moron". Her words, not mine. At least she proved you right🤣🤣🤣

My New England wife says "go eff yourself you frigging redneck moron". Her words, not mine. At least she proved you right🤣🤣🤣
Is she a Boston girl by any chance. LOL
There is a noticeable difference whenever I get away from the Eastern seaboard. Sadly people ruin people for us.
It's always great getting off the plane in Rapid City or even for the most part Belgrade and most people have a good disposition. Takes a day or two for me to adjust and lose the East Coast chip when I get there.

I’ve got a flight voucher that needs to be booked by EOY and my wife has always wanted to go to Maine. What’s there to do in that neck of the woods? Any fishing opportunities? Probably going to be a kid or late summer trip.
Give me the down and dirty.
Thanks.
Eat some lobster and catch a few brook tout drink beer and look at the hardwood and pine covered mtns. Mighty fine in the fall.

Nah, she's from NH.
If she is from NH than she may agree with this ...
Most of the people you meet along the coast are not from there. NH & Maine coastline has been invaded by wealthy transplants. We, in NH have bumper stickers that say "don,t MASS up NH" because they have. Its worth knowing that the White Mountains and the APT areas are invaded by tourist who conduct themselves as entitled, and rude people who feel they own the waterways and trails because they paid the tourists rates at the hotels.
While in a fly fishing only zone last year I had one New Yorker flip his entitled gord because a fisherman explained this was a FF only section. He physically threatened people and threatened to cause damage to cars because his kids and he were not going to be allowed to throw worms. Most of us locals stay away from high traffic areas because of these people, in fact one community has a residents only beach to help deal with "Tourons" who wont be civil.
Come to NE, be polite and respectful and be aware idiots and morons go on vacations as well, I agree that the more remote you get the less you see them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back