MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

What to bring on a backpack trip

Bambistew

After reading Moosie's list on the sheep hunting tread, I though it would be cool to see what everyone packs on a hunting trip. I have a high country mule deer trip coming up in a few weeks and have been finalizing my "list".

Anyone else have a good list they'd like to share? Here's mine... I didn't include costs as I know my wife could possibly find this and well I don't need to buy her any more sparkly things...

packinglist.JPG

I skip the lists these days. Looked at yours, mine might be similar, but I usually take way more than I need. One thing is for sure, if you aren't strapping on an 18 pack of beer to the top of that pack, you done left one of the most important things behind. Of course, I usually pack a bit of the gear in and stash it (beer in cold creek) prior to going in for the hunt.

...Greeny, I've found a few stash's like that and respectfully left them intact.

'nipple wrench'....lmao

12 packs come with handles no sence in putting them in the pack.

I figure a 24oz flask of Crown should get me through the weekend... Actully if you look... I planed on drinking it before I start. :D

Any of you CO boys think I could find a Sherpa at the local Home Depot?

Bambistew said:
Any of you CO boys think I could find a Sherpa at the local Home Depot?

Hmm, never thought of that. But it would most likely be an alpinista. Shh, don't tell CJCJ or Schmalts.:D

Bambi, I've always thought it would be good to snag one of them dudes in the Walmart parking lot with the dog and sign that says "Will work for food." Might be some interesting discussion on the way to the elk camp.

I've actually thought about going to a temp service and hiring a $5/hour guy to help pack out an elk. I bet they would be so pissed after it.

Bambi, I will take photos of the pack I just finished buckling together for you. Pretty fuggin hilarious. I spent about $800 at Mystery Ranch so I could do this with some remote level of comfort. I take way too much crap. I weighed it at 91lbs, that's without my binos and water. This is just food, camping gear, beer, my big spotter and tripod. It's a MR NICE frame with the 6500ci bag and the crew-cab lashed onto it. Completely packed full, no compression with any of the straps.

I went to a local store here called Northern Lights today at noon to pick up a few items and ran into another friend who was also getting ready for a backpack elk hunt. He was coming back to complain about a tent that was advertised as 3.1 lbs, but was actually 4.9lbs. I just said, "I can't figure if I want to go with the 12 pack or the 18 pack." So tonight at Walmart I just said "What the fugg, I'm taking a 24-pack this time."

Now that sounds like my kind of backpacking. Just need to find someone to carry the pack! ;) 91#s going in is MONSTER. I'm guessing multiple trips will be needed once you tag out?

Looks like a decent list. Take a good close look at your clothing system and make sure there is no cotton in it. I'd loose the gore-tex pants. And just take 1 extra set of underwear. You can always wash the dirties in the wind....or a creek. Just my opinion.

Bambi, have you bought one of these packs yet? Man, you should. I honestly think I'll be able to carry about 20-40% more weight because of this thing. I've used the NICE frame and crewcab hunting bears, but never have swapped out bags and used the big bag (6500 cubic inches). It's really cool. This was the first time I used it and I wanted to try and fill it full up and see if it really made that much of a difference. The more I use this Mystery Ranch gear, the more impressed I am with it. This thing is an engineering masterpiece. Every other pack I've seen is second rate crap in comparison.

I loaded up the 6500 bag and wasn't real happy with how it was riding, so I went to Mystery Ranch (they are here in Bozeman), and talked to a guy named Luke. He adjusted it a little and wala! Total comfort. He weighed the load on their scale at 90.5lbs. I came home, added some more clothes, water and my binos, and got it up to over 100lbs, just for shits and giggles.

The thing was a total comfort to carry, even at that weight. Several miles and hours of hiking uphill, I only took the pack off once to take off my shirt. You know a pack is comfortable when you can carry a heavy load without a shirt and it doesn't hurt.

Once at camp, I took out some of the stuff that would stay, took off the 6500 bag, attached the crewcab and loaded it up for an overnight scouting trip.

Then, on the way out, all I took was the frame. The lid to the 6500 clips right on, and allows you to compress other stuff, like my sweatshirt, spotter and, and tripod.

Only gripe I have with the NICE/Crewcab set up is that I spent $500 on a pack within in months of it coming out!

Do you keep your stuff in a box/bag that you leave or just hope no one finds it? I've pack in water a few times and haven't had any trouble with the going anywher; course you shouldn't either with Bud Light!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mttedoc
Back