What stix

pawhitetail

I'm looking for a set of shooting sticks for elk hunting. It would be nice to use as a hiking stick as well but not a necessity. What do you use or recommend? Thanks

I always carry stoney point shooting sticks on the wadte belt of my pack. I think primos bought them out and sell them as pole cat steady stix. I like them because they are light and go anywhere without any hassle. I take hiking sticks if the terrain or hunt demands it.

I've been using the fairly new Double Crossed Sticks. Lightweight yet steady. Once you figure them out I doubt you will use anything else

I just went thru this search.
I have been using Stoney Points for years on my belt and a Eastmans Hiking/shooting staff.
I decided to go with hiking poles now and can use them in a pinch quick. Shot off the Stoney sticks again this year.
I just put a Y-yoke on my Manfrotto ultra-lite tripod and now have tripod rest setup to use. Too light weight for hiking set-up but I will use it for the binos and spotter too still.
Hiking poles are a no brainer nowadays they are so light & twice as effective as a tri-pod hiking pole set-up.

I just loop my trekking poles together with their straps, but that connex deal from 1 pointer's link looks like a good way to do it.

I used the Easton Trajectory bipod this year and shot off the top rifle cup. It worked well as it stabilizes very quickly. As a walking pole it works okay, but you have to keep a grip in order to hold the two poles of the bipod together. But I was glad to have it on the steep mountain.

Stoney Point ones that are really lightweight and assemble with elastic cord. I don't know what they're called, but I tried to carry one of the bigger telescoping ones once and it was a huge PTA in rough country.

Me too...so does the elec tape I always have in my pocket,8 rolls for $3.lol

I have not found a set of shooting sticks than can handle the abuse I put hiking sticks through on a trip out west. I cary a full length telescoping tripod shooting sticks strapped to my pack. If I need the sticks to shoot, there will be time to get them out...

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back