Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

What size shot? Multi-species

teej89

Alright so just moved to WA and this weekend the wife and I are headed to chase quail with the potential of pheasants in the mix.

I carry a 12ga, she a 20ga and we hunt behind boomer our flushing dog.

We’ve only hunted released pheasants and typically I use Kent 2-3/4” #5 fast steel, also knocked down the random woodcock with that too.

Long story short what’s the best shot to use when you’re targeting quail but wild pheasants are a possibility as well. This would be for me with the 12ga and for her with the 20ga.

She has no issue with recoil, should I have her with 2-3/4” #5s for the first two shells and the third be a 3”?

I'm with JLS- 5 or 6 shot for both the 20 and the 12 and ditto on the 2-3/4", wouldn't bother with the 3". 6 shot provides a fairly dense pattern and I've been impressed with how well 6's perform on pheasants.

I base it on the weather but #5 and #6 should work well for you. If pheasants are holding tight, I will use #6 shot.

Alright good deal I think we’ll just roll with the 6s and maybe have her load a 5 last. I’ve heard of people using 3” for pheasants with a 20ga and was not sure if it’d be more necessary with wild pheasants that may flush further out than pen raised. I’m just assuming they’re flushing further out as they’re wild and from the articles I’ve read online.

If you are primarily targeting quail, the above is good advice. But since you mentioned those steel 5’s....

I use exclusively steel these days since it’s required on many of the places I hunt, and switching back and forth is a PITA. I have not been impressed with those Fast Steel 5’s for pheasants at all. I prefer 4’s, and late season will go to 3’s when the shots get longer. This is for heavily pressured wild birds. Just food for thought.

If you are primarily targeting quail, the above is good advice. But since you mentioned those steel 5’s....

I use exclusively steel these days since it’s required on many of the places I hunt, and switching back and forth is a PITA. I have not been impressed with those Fast Steel 5’s for pheasants at all. I prefer 4’s, and late season will go to 3’s when the shots get longer. This is for heavily pressured wild birds. Just food for thought.

Check out the Kent Bismuth. Price is coming down and I've been happy with their performance. Much denser than steel.

Alright so just moved to WA and this weekend the wife and I are headed to chase quail with the potential of pheasants in the mix.

I carry a 12ga, she a 20ga and we hunt behind boomer our flushing dog.

We’ve only hunted released pheasants and typically I use Kent 2-3/4” #5 fast steel, also knocked down the random woodcock with that too.

Long story short what’s the best shot to use when you’re targeting quail but wild pheasants are a possibility as well. This would be for me with the 12ga and for her with the 20ga.

She has no issue with recoil, should I have her with 2-3/4” #5s for the first two shells and the third be a 3”?

Are you planning on hunting with steel, or lead? I was assuming lead when I responded back with #5 and #6 and made the comment about #6 working well on pheasants. I've never used #6 steel.

I don’t think they’re steel but now I can’t remember to be honest

Alright so it sounds like a whopping yes for #6s for both the 12 and 20, thanks guys!

Now let’s see if we can’t flush any of these guys.

My size recommendations were for lead. If you’re using steel go up two sizes, ie 4 shot.

I use only steel and hunt only wild SD pheasants and honkers over decoys. I use #2 all season and love it. Very few BBs in the meat and way fewer feathers in the meat. May have to wait a second or two on a close flusher but also part of the fun.

When you get into quail there's usually time to switch over. In one pocket I carry hot 6's and the other some lighter 7.5's. If you have to shoot a quail with the 6's it's ok. Usually there's only a few pellets of 6's in them. For pheasant or chukar I like Estate High Velocity hunting loads in 6's. Late season if those aren't dropping them Remington Express Long Range in 6's or 5's will put them down.

Well, here in Idaho we don’t have many pheasants, plenty of quail thou. I shoot BBs all year duck/goose hunting, so guess what the pheasants and quail get, a little over kill but does the job!
Matt

Back