What size holes in your grinding plate you use?

I have always just ran through 1 time with the fine plate. Is there any advantage to running it through coarse then fine? Also I never add any fat unless I am making summer sausage or snack sticks.

I have always just ran through 1 time with the fine plate. Is there any advantage to running it through coarse then fine? Also I never add any fat unless I am making summer sausage or snack sticks.
Not certain there is a correct answer.
Probably depends to some degree what size grinder someone is using( horsepower) and what their expectations are for a final product.

Depends on the meat.
For domestic pork sausage I do a single pass on the 7mm plate.
For wild hog, which is a little tougher, I want the grind to be a little finer, so I do first pass through the fan plate, and then a second pass through the 7mm plate.

For duck meat, single pass is all I can do, else it turns to slime.

Also, it seems to me that how sharp the grinder knife, how fast the auger, and how cold the meat is will change the grind profile even for the same plate hole size.... so I make adjustments on the fly.

Surprised at the answers. I use the fine plate one time through for everything from no fat burger to sausage.

hamburger patties seem to hold up well enough without fat, but maybe I’ll try the 3/8” plate to compare.

I course grind one time. Then, if I need to add hamburger or sausage later for fat, I will mix it in a bowl before cooking.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back