At what point do you take your dog in?

2ski

I went out hunting yesterday. The GPS collar said my dog did 6.5 miles. He was fine when we got back in the car but when we got home he wouldn't put weight on his front left foot/leg. He's limping around. And wouldn't cross the tile to the bedroom last night to sleep.

At what point do you decide to take your dog in to the vet?

I went out hunting yesterday. The GPS collar said my dog did 6.5 miles. He was fine when we got back in the car but when we got home he wouldn't put weight on his front left foot/leg. He's limping around. And wouldn't cross the tile to the bedroom last night to sleep.

I would monitor it for 48 hours and check things like what you witness (like you are now) and also you can check for a fever and feel for swelling. By touching his leg too will tell you a lot. If he will absolutely refuse to let you touch it (like shows his teeth, growls at you, extreme whining), its probably a pretty serious injury. If he lets you touch it, even if he isn't happy about it, its likely just soreness.

Inspect the leg & foot closely. if it's internal, then monitor for 24-48 hours and make a decision. If it's a scrape, cut, etc. then clean and disinfect & bandage appropriately. If it's a big cut or gouge, go to the vet.

Had to force feed both my labs peroxide this morning to avert a total travesty.

It's always something with dogs....lol

Did he tear a pad? Mine seem like they do that fairly often...

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back