Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

What should I buy next?

I bought this pack, used it once and returned it after hauling duck decoys for a mile or so, I can't imagine hauling an elk out of the mountains with it. I think a used internal frame backpack of the 70-90L variety is a much better option in everyway and the same or less money. You can always put meat in trash bags and put quarters in the main compartment and just hose it out when you are done.

I am not advocating that it is a replacement for a good pack, but I am also not aware of any $100 pack that is really good for packing elk quarters. I could be wrong though, as I haven't tried out any of the $100ish internal frames with quarters in it. I have packed quarters in something similar to the one I recommended though. Personally, if I am going to try and save money, I would favor towards a stiff external frame over something that is comfy with 30lbs in it. A flexible frame that can't control a 70-80lb load is what is going to help you get injured, way before sore shoulders because of less than ideal comfort. At some point packing elk quarters sucks regardless of the pack.

If the OP was just looking for a new pack, I would tell him to just buy a MR (because that is what I am most comfortable recommending), just like my Metcalf, Longbow, or Crewcab, and be done. However considering he has a few more needs this might be a place he could save.

A flexible frame that can't control a 70-80lb load is what is going to help you get injured, way before sore shoulders because of less than ideal comfort. At some point packing elk quarters sucks regardless of the pack.

Internal frame packs are in no way flexier than external frame ones, Mystery Ranch Packs are internal frames. External frame packs are just cheap and capable of carrying really awkward shapes because you are limited by a draw string compartment. In the case of a boned out quarter you should have zero problem fitting it in the main compartment on any multiday internal framed pack. I've had the awful alps external frame, a Lowe Alpine 85L internal frame pack and a Mystery Ranch Metcalf and have packed heavy loads or quarters with all of them. If you don't have Mystery Ranch or similar money, the $200 or less internal frame backpacking backpacks are far superior if you don't mind hosing them out.

The REI type outdoor gear in most cases is 1/2 or less the cost of the same quality gear dedicated to hunting because of quantity of scale and many competing brands.

I would much rather take a pack like this http://www.sierratradingpost.com/ke...cdataor~pack volume;over 54 l/&colorFamily=01 than a external frame pack held together with cotter pins.

KMWJR,

Looks like you have some options for packs. I should have mentioned earlier. MR just updated to a new frame system, so you will likely see some screaming deals on MR packs in the next few months. Might be worth waiting for one of those and being done looking for a pack for a long time.

Good luck.

Cool thread - great post : buying new hunting gear!
well everyone has it down pat for ya brother!
Id do boots and sweet pack upgrade!
Probably won't need glass - Unitas has many elk correct?
Id hike in get on that one bull, and use your scope.
Save for glass when you buy her a sofa.
A gps is nice but maps are fine if you are 'Local'

You mentioned game bags : Alaskan game bags last ya a few seasons and have worked fine for me for 20 years, And have some parachute cord.
Sell that day pack.
Shoot plenty and you don't need a range finder
Good luck

My order would be like this.
Garmin with onx maps, its saved the day more than i can recall. You can also use a Garmin automotive GPS for this too. Most Garmins accept the sd cards
Boots, cause they get you there.
Binos, You cant kill what you cant see
Rain gear or clothing that will keep you dry
Rangefinder
Game bags
Shooting sticks or bi-pod for rifle

Keep an eye on the classifieds on hunt talk and I'm sure you can find a deal on most items you mentioned.

Good luck

Ebay can be a great place to get a good rangefinder. I bought an old style Leica 900 for @ 250 four years ago. Doesn't have angle compensation but it's fast and actually gets me a yardage almost every time. Figure efffective range on most rangefinders to be 200-300 yards less than advertised.

Sounds to me other than game bags and maybe a pack frame to get the meat out you have what you need to go hunting. Started out hunting with my Dad, rifle, knife on the belt, hank of rope tied around the waist, some snacks in the pockets of the Levi jacket and matches in the pocket of the Levi jeans, redwing brogan shoes, Bushnell binoculars. All the new, stuff is great if you can afford it, if not don't let that stop you "Go Hunt!"

Based on the responses it sounds like the best use of funds would be.

1. A quality pack (MR Metcalf seems to be the gold standard, I seem to remember a sale for $399, I will keep an eye out for a similar deal. If one doesn't present itself I recall somebody posting about the Seek Outside Unaweep 4800. Seems like a really quality pack as well.)
2. Quality boots (Looks like kenetreck are the gold standard here.)
3. Quality binos (Theron Binos look like everybody loves them and are great value for the money)

Followed by a book on elk ecology and TITM (time in the mountains).

Thanks all for the advice! I will follow up when I pull the trigger!

1. A quality pack (MR Metcalf seems to be the gold standard, I seem to remember a sale for $399, I will keep an eye out for a similar deal. If one doesn't present itself I recall somebody posting about the Seek Outside Unaweep 4800. Seems like a really quality pack as well.)
3. Quality binos (Theron Binos look like everybody loves them and are great value for the money)

Take lots of pics and write up a good story, even if you're not successful!! The hunt and scenery and just getting out there is a successful adventure.

I think you are headed in the right direction! IMO, boots, binos, backpack are the ones that can make or break a hunt the fastest. If you want to see what ill fitting boots can do to you I have a quasi-infamous pic I can post... :eek:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back