What scope??

mixedbag

I'm looking to drop between 4-$500 on a new scope for my new rifle.this rifle is being set up for hunting out west and longer distance shooting then I have here.I'm looking at the VXIII or Cabelas euro glass scopes.I know there are alot of VXIII fans on here
One question I have is are the bullet drop reticles worth it or are they more of a problem?I'm probably going to keep shots to within 300-400 yards tops
I don't know much about all the ins and outs of scopes.Let me know what I should keep in mind while shopping for one
any suggestions for a set up to take a look at?Its for a Browning 300 mag,and will mainly be used for antelope/muleys and elk.also the outside chance I may draw a sheep or moose tag in this lifetime
Thanks for any help.I'm more of an archery guy,and am pretty well lost in the new technology of hunting scopes

I have all VXIII's on my rifles. They are older with the duplex. What I like about the VXIII's is the eye relief. Now frownies above the eyes on odd angle shots....yet! :D

If it were me I'd pick up a leupold great warranty if you need it, I haven't had to use it. My cousin fell and messed up his leupold. He dropped it off at leupold and picked it up 3days later repaired.

I have a VXIII with the B&C reticle that I like alot. Have a pentax with the ballisticplex reticle that I like also. Spend some time looking through them and see what you like.

I see a sponsor is running 10% off.Guess I'll head to Cabelas and look them over,and then see if I can get the one I like from him
I didn't even think about the warranty till you brought it up

The VX3 is a great scope, I've got multiple Leupolds, I also just got a Vortex Viper that I'm going to put their custom BDC turret on. I'm still developing the load for that gun so I don't know how well the custom turret is going to work, but initial impression of the scope is very good. I also have Sightron and Nikon's that I'm happy with, but my opinion is the Leupold or Viper.

John

The CDS is an option on all Leupold scopes. If I remember correctly, its $85 to have the turret etched for your ballistics for any Leupold scope or you can buy the CDS version and just send your ballistics to Leupold at no additional cost.

A VX-3 is going to be the best scope value you can find. And like some have said, the warranty and customer service is terrific.

Schmalts here on Hunt Talk, the owner of Predator Optics, has the best prices on the web for Leupold and gives our guys an additional 10% from that already low price.

I recommend the viper as well. I have had VXiii's with no complaints, but the warranty and service from Vortex is unbeatable. Whatever you decide, if you plan on shooting passed 200 yds, I strongly suggest you get a scope with paralax adjustment.

I have had Leupold scopes on all of my rifles since the 1960's. About two years ago I purchased a new rifle, and in the process of picking out a scope for it compared a Leupold to a Zeiss Conquest. To my eyes the Conquest won hands down. My new rifle wears a Conquest. As it turns out, I had to send it in to Zeiss for repair (not sure if I broke it or it was defective). They repaired it no questions asked.

My advice to you is to go to a store that carries scopes from a variety of manufactures and look thru them. Get the one that looks best thru your eyes and is a good fit for your rifle.

Good luck, Ken

You won't go wrong with either Leupold or Zeiss. If you're interested, I listed a Conquest in the classifieds.

I can get you pretty much any Leupold, or Ziess scope. Even though Ziess is not on my website I sell them, and very very low. How about Conquest 3x9- 40mm Z-plex reticle for $385 Shipped to your door? Any takers?

schmalts-

How long is the OYOA discount going to be on? I plan on ordering a VX-R around the middle of next week. Your price is the best going on that I have seen.

You can get a really nice Cabelas scope for under 200 and put the rest of the money into a muzzle break or something else for your rifle or hunt. Just an option, this is what I did for my savage 30-06.

schmalts-

How long is the OYOA discount going to be on? I plan on ordering a VX-R around the middle of next week. Your price is the best going on that I have seen.
It will be good until at least mid August.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back