Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

What rifle to build?

Interesting question. I have considered upgrading my Tikka 300 WSM with a new barrel and stock or getting a Christensen Ridgeline 6.5 PRC myself.
If you decide to sell your tikka I would be very interested in it.

How about a long throated 300 WSM using a Hells Canyon Armory magazine and a long action bolt stop? For a Tikka, a 7mm SAUM with the same extras looks interesting to me but that is not a whole lot different than your 6.5 PRC.

I'd make it a 300WSM throated for 215gr Bergers. Lots of guys have had good luck with that on that action. I'd like to have one set up like that to go with my 260 Rem.

Good choice! Mine is super accurate with either the 180 accubond or Barnes.
What kinda speed do you get out of those 180 grainers? My .338 Fed normally shoots 200-grainers. With less powder and a heavier bullet, I wouldn't use it on elk at 500 yards.

I take it you're reloading. Last time I looked, almost nobody had .338-06 rounds, although I believe Hornady is still making them.

Change directions. If you want to build something you will use, look to varmint rifles. Building a rifle to shoot an elk once a year is fulfilling in the category of building a rifle, but leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to shooting it.

It sounds like you already have long range rifles sufficient to kill elk, why put one more in the safe.

Varmint and small game cartridges are much more suitable to shooting repetitively and not getting detached retinas from the recoil. Just a thought...

CDA26DB7-2892-4B24-9CCE-8F1F82B3187C.jpeg

This is the WWII 30-06 Springfield my dad and coworker rebuilt in 1962 at Hungry Horse Dam. I have killed essentially all my game ove 56 years all over North America and South Africa. I may have to put another barrel on it before returning to Africa next year but it will definitely be 30-06. It can do everything. It won't take elk at 450 yards ... because I won't shoot at them that far no matter what gun I'm using. I prefer to look game in the eye if I can. This buck was dropped dead on the fly at about sixty yards after jumping him and his twin from their beds on a very windy day.16 November 2019.JPG

I have pretty much unlimited options except the really big ultra magnums. I have 2 different tikkas I can build off of. A standard or a magnum short or long. I already built a 6.5 prc and have it shooting in a 6 inch circle at 750 yards. Wanting to build something that I can take an elk at 500 yards if needed. Had multiple opportunities last year at 450 but wasn't comfortable with shooting that far. I need something to do over the winter and I like to do stuff myself.

Picture of my last build.
Not saying you should because of energy requirements but I always stick with the -06 family. Maybe do a 280ai if you haven’t picked anything yet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back