Caribou Gear

What rifle to build?

Jasher

I have pretty much unlimited options except the really big ultra magnums. I have 2 different tikkas I can build off of. A standard or a magnum short or long. I already built a 6.5 prc and have it shooting in a 6 inch circle at 750 yards. Wanting to build something that I can take an elk at 500 yards if needed. Had multiple opportunities last year at 450 but wasn't comfortable with shooting that far. I need something to do over the winter and I like to do stuff myself.

Picture of my last build.

Attachments

• 20201017_103204.jpg
    20201017_103204.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 28
How about an 8mm RM?
I recently acquired a Rem 700 in the Big 8.
One of the originals made in the '70s.
I shoot a 200 TSX Barnes at 3200 fps, and a Serra 220 at 3000fps.
OUTstanding!
I only have a Burriss drop fullfield scope on it and shoot a grapefruit group at 500 yards.
I feel If a person was building one with a better twist with a turret scope using something like "Hammer" bullets around 260 grain you could easily stretch that out to over 750 yards with devastating results on Elk or moose.

I feel that with a good 140 gr. bullet like a Nosler Accubond, Partition, or E-tip your 6.5 PRC would work on elk at 500 yards. You certainly are accurate enough with the 6.5 PRC to make a good shot on an animal that far away.

How about a 280 AI or 300 WSM? Both of those are excellent cartridges with plenty of pop at that distance to cleanly take an elk. My own 280 AI with it's 24" barrel shoots a 140 gr. Accubond at 3186 fps and the 140 gr. Partition at 3230 fps. Best of luck on which direction you go.

I used a 300 Win Mag for years and consider it the best choice for any game on the continent. In a hunting weight rifle it kicks a bit and will eat barrels more than a standard caliber if you shoot enough to get proficient with it. Your 6.5 should work with premium bullets. It's all about hitting the vitals. The largest elk I ever shot was taken at about 400 yards with a 270 win, Speer Grand Slam 150 grain bullet. Hit the top of his heart and he fell before I could shoot again.

I feel that with a good 140 gr. bullet like a Nosler Accubond, Partition, or E-tip your 6.5 PRC would work on elk at 500 yards. You certainly are accurate enough with the 6.5 PRC to make a good shot on an animal that far away.

How about a 280 AI or 300 WSM? Both of those are excellent cartridges with plenty of pop at that distance to cleanly take an elk. My own 280 AI with it's 24" barrel shoots a 140 gr. Accubond at 3186 fps and the 140 gr. Partition at 3230 fps. Best of luck on which direction you go.
I was thinking about the 300 wsm. The prc I know could get the job done it's just trying to find the components to make good game bullets for elk. I can find the lite stuff or ones good for deer.

I have 2 300 wm right now and they are more than enough to do what I'm wanting to do. They just aren't fun to shoot so they don't get shot much. Since I don't shoot them much I don't feel comfortable going very long range with them. That's the reason I passed on the shots I had last year. One stood broadside for 15 minutes 458 yards and I couldn't close the gap because it was wide open between us. I just sat there and watched wishing it was closer.

Something with a fast twist and lots of high bc bullets to choose from.
28 nosler, 7mm rem mag, 6.5-300 wby or 26 nosler.
Otherwise man up and shoot the 300 wm :)

If you like the prc case, go with a 300 prc. Your 6.5 will kill an elk at 500 no problem though.
The tikka action isn't big enough for the 300 prc. It takes alot of altering that needs to be done by a true professional. The oal is to long so not only do you have to open up the bottom of the action so they will feed you need the larger magazine than the standard magnum aics. Those can be found no problem but there's no stock or bottom metal made with that inlet.

Maybe a 7mm LRM? (Long Range Magnum)
Essentially the 375 Ruger case necked down. Gives a little more capacity than the 7mm Rem Mag.
And unlike the 8mm Rem Mag mentioned, fits in standard length action.

Or for something different a 7mm-350 Rem Mag. 25-350 if your a 25 caliber fan.

For your standard bolt face, 280AI, or 7mm-08. You could always AI the 08'.

Interesting question. I have considered upgrading my Tikka 300 WSM with a new barrel and stock or getting a Christensen Ridgeline 6.5 PRC myself.

The tikka action isn't big enough for the 300 prc. It takes alot of altering that needs to be done by a true professional. The oal is to long so not only do you have to open up the bottom of the action so they will feed you need the larger magazine than the standard magnum aics. Those can be found no problem but there's no stock or bottom metal made with that inlet.
Yeah, I wasn’t sure about that when that was my suggestion. Bummer as that would be a cool complement to your 6.5 PRC, and very effective for how you plan to hunt with it.

.28Nosler. IMO it may be the best all around cartridge after using it for a few years. It now replaces my 270WSM ( Sadly).

I have a .30 Nosler and it puts the hurt on elk like few I have seen, but its a bit much for deer and smaller unless you want to use multiple weight bullets. I do not. I like one specific round for each gun.

Last edited:
Yeah, I wasn’t sure about that when that was my suggestion. Bummer as that would be a cool complement to your 6.5 PRC, and very effective for how you plan to hunt with it.
I would like to build a 300 prc. I looked into it before I built the 6.5. I know the 6.5 is supposed to be a short action but it's really a in between size to get the most out of it. I get 3220 fps with rl25 and 140 gn berger elite hunters.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back