Caribou Gear

What pistol do you carry on hunts

To be clear I am a Spray over pistol person, but I am confident a .44 will work wonders on a human....;)

This. I carry a S&W Model 29 w/a 4" bbl in grizzly country. I carry spray too. I also hunt w/medium bore guns in grizz country for the energy they provide. When a size 13EEE doesn't fill in the back foot print, I tend to overcompensate.

Spray first, but when it's windy or you're cutting a critter up, there's a lot of comfort in 3 pounds of steel on your hip.

The wind is why I also carry a pistol in griz country. Currently it’s a Glock 20 with 220 hardcasts.

I'm back down to 240 grain XTPs after years of carrying 310 grain hardcast. Those hardcasts would beat the tar out of you. I've got 150 left. I'm using that as an excuse to buy a 629 hunter though. :)

I'm back down to 240 grain XTPs after years of carrying 310 grain hardcast. Those hardcasts would beat the tar out of you. I've got 150 left. I'm using that as an excuse to buy a 629 hunter though. :)
I sold my 629 mountain gun after a lot of punishment from 310s. Still a great handgun and I miss it, but it’s hard to make a fast, accurate follow up shot with a stout 310 grain load. I still think a revolver is generally a better choice, but I’ve also burned a whole lot of rounds training with a Glock 22. Wanted to keep all of my serious handguns consistent for muscle memory’s sake.

I sold my 629 mountain gun after a lot of punishment from 310s. Still a great handgun and I miss it, but it’s hard to make a fast, accurate follow up shot with a stout 310 grain load. I still think a revolver is generally a better choice, but I’ve also burned a whole lot of rounds training with a Glock 22. Wanted to keep all of my serious handguns consistent for muscle memory’s sake.

Totally agree. Those roscoes are no good if you're not proficient. I like the 240's. Easy enough to shoot, even w/20 grains of W296 behind them. I can shoot 50 in a range session and not be too beat up.

If I were headed to a semi, I'd be all over the 10MM, either Glock or Sig. Or maybe a Delta Elite.

Too many choices. So little cash!

Totally agree. Those roscoes are no good if you're not proficient. I like the 240's. Easy enough to shoot, even w/20 grains of W296 behind them. I can shoot 50 in a range session and not be too beat up.

If I were headed to a semi, I'd be all over the 10MM, either Glock or Sig. Or maybe a Delta Elite.

Too many choices. So little cash!
240 XTPs penetrate very well too, I’ve seen results on elk and black bear. Too little cash is absolutely the problem...

I've been thinking about bringing along my s&w shield 9mm. I'm less concerned with mountain lions and bears where I hunt but I worry about running into an illegal grow.

I carry a 1911 .45. A few years back I climbed up the side of a ridge line to find a sow and her two cubs just 20 yards away on the other side of the brush from me. Thankfully they just wandered up the path and disappeared into the brush on the other side o f the ridge. I decided after that, I wanted to carry a sidearm just in case I got in an uncomfortable position. received_320735942243397.jpeg

I question my ability to drop my bow and draw and fire a pistol for bear defense
When it comes to practice I shoot my bow 5,000 times a year which is 100x the number of shots I take with my Security Six in .357. Its purpose is to put down an injured horse or other livestock.
If it were legal in my state I would have a Taurus Judge.

I have recently become interested in hunting. Honestly, I always liked it, but I didn't know anything about it. I bought a gun and started going hunting. It's not enough to buy a gun and learn how to shoot it. You also need to clean it and take care of it. How would an inexperienced person know that? I came across in the network on useful link to clean my glock, which was really good because it explained everything about cleaning weapons. I like to visit this forum where you share your experience and knowledge. I always learn something new and useful for myself.

Last edited:
Grizzly country Ruger Super Redhawk 454 Casull. Everywhere else, my EDC which is a Glock 32 .357 SIG

It's not legal to do anything but shoot paper with hanguns up here. In Montana I always carried my dad's Smith K22 in my daypack for grouse. 357 Highway Patrolman was in the saddlebag for bear medicine on the trail.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wyohandscold
Back