What kind of patches do you use when cleaning your rifles?

Dougfirtree

It seems like the only patches that will fit down the barrel, in conjunction with a brush, are the very thin, gauzy ones that Hoppes makes. They're pretty expensive though and when ordering online, it's not always clear whether you're getting those, or the bulk cotton ones... The bulk cotton ones don't fit. Are there other good options out there that I'm not finding? I like the larger ones that will completely cover a nylon, or copper brush.

Patches are meant to be used with a jag, not to cover a brush. Brushes are made to be at or near bore size. Jags are undersized to fit a patch.

Plenty of options for patches. I like the square patches. As stated why would you use a brush and patch combo? A jag is used with a patch. I prefer the nickel coated jags so there isn't a false reading from copper solvent.

I use a jag for routine cleaning, but both methods of copper removal I've used (Barnes CR 10 and JB+Kroil), call for a patch over a brush. You can't go back and forth with a jag, as both of these methods ask you to.

I use a jag for routine cleaning, but both methods of copper removal I've used (Barnes CR 10 and JB+Kroil), call for a patch over a brush. You can't go back and forth with a jag, as both of these methods ask you to.

You read the instructions? that might be your problem...show-off. Lol

If patch is to thick drop down 1 jag size and yes you can go back and forth.

Yep! If your gonna clean your barrel like that use the next size caliber smaller if your gonna wrap the patch. Hope your using a bore guide also.
Give boretech eliminator and copper cleaner a try! Very good product and no need to use a patch around a brush. Only a nylon brush every so often.

Why not just use a smaller brush?

Ha ha ha. That's a good, simple solution. It's not perfect, as I like to scrub with the brush in between patches, so that would require changing brushes. However, this would be a cheap solution and I'm embarrassed that it hadn't occurred to me...

for JB and Kroil us these felt patches that screw on to a jag type deal. they work really well for scrubbing. they aren't super cheap but work really well. I found these when searching for the copper remover. I will say the JB didn't work near as quick as I had hoped. try some MPro 7 copper remover. no messy paste no bad smell or staining. the stuff worked great and really fast on 3 of my rifles. and you can try it for under $6 on amazon https://www.amazon.com/Hoppes-Coppe...qid=1520434006&sr=8-1&keywords=copper+remover

https://www.brownells.com/gun-clean...ts/weapons-care-system-pellets-prod13839.aspx

Bore snake for all my rifles. Never had an issue. I do keep patches on hand, they are whatever you can buy at the local sporting goods store.

I am a n Otis guy. Got started on them with my M4 kit in the Army and now have the full range for all my weapons. I love the pull through.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back