Caribou Gear

What is your single top hunting season goal this year? I expect updates damn it.

1)Wring out some new alpine deer terrain. Don’t really care if I kill one.

2)Kill a bigger class of 6x6. I can find a few run of the mill bulls any season but this will be a good year to see about a good one, or eat the tag.

My #1 goal this season is for a bull to hit the deck, this will be my 12th year hunting and I shot bulls year 1 and 3. I used up a lot of my luck early and hunt an either sex tag every year. I have always followed the mantra of brown it’s down for elk which has led to a lot of cows in the freezer. I have put in a lot of hard work over the last couple years and feel I have learned a lot about elk rather than just getting lucky in the same spot.

I don’t care if @MtnElk shoots one or if I do but I want to see a bull down this year. It might take someone else holding my bullets though.
happy to take one for the team and put the first bull down 😉

My goals this year is to use some vacation up and kill a buck. The last buck I shot was in 2007, a whitetail on our family farm in MN. I’d love to connect with my first mule deer buck with a general WY deer tag, and then a whitetail on a MN reunion hunt back in my stomping grounds. On top of that, I’d like to connect with my first elk with a late season cow tag I have.

Nothing out west this year, I live in the midwest. My dog is in his prime. My goal is to ensure my deer hunting/meat gathering does not infringe on my upland hunting. We eat mostly game meat at home, so I want to get 2 or more deer in the freezer w/ archery and then birds birds birds. I can deer hunt within 30 minutes of home, but birds are at least a day trip but much more commonly an overnight is involved.

Ruffed grouse and pheasants... the populations of both will dictate if we spend more time in the Northwoods or the prairies.

Edit: I mostly deer hunt solo, but have a deer camp I am looking forward too. But I hope to get to hunt w/ my brother, dad, and bust up some grouse w/ Gus. As a byproduct, I also have to hang out w/ @BrentD to see Gus. So it goes...

Last edited:
Have a muzzy buck tag in my favorite unit in CO. Goal is to get a good stalk or two on a mature buck.

Outside of that, helping my brother kill a bull after he tore his achilles this winter would be sweet. Also hopefully helping my buddy kill his first CO big game animal on a 4th season buck tag.

My youngest daughter has been hunting with me since she was about five. She has killed deer pretty much every year since she was 12 but has never had a really nice buck on the ground…she turned 21 this year, and my time with her in the woods is dwindling away fast now with her work and business. So this year I surprised her with a Kansas buck tag and we are heading to a lease my brother has had the last couple years to turkey hunt on. We have four days to get it done the first weekend in November.
If I don’t get a single thing I’ll consider it a successful year if she gets her a good buck in Kansas.

11-10-23
Update: We didn’t see but one deer, a doe, she is very tasty! We might try it again in December.

Last edited:
Well since I leave next Monday the 4th I havent been back in Idaho for quite a few ys covid and the NR tag cap kept me out really looking forward to getting back into those mtns
The cherry on top would be to put and elk on the ground when I was younger I passed on many elk cows,small bulls but I dont do that much any more on any of my trips deer or elk. I look for a nice bull at first but as each day goes by if things arent working out I love filling a freezer
I plan on trying to keep folks up dated on here never took a phone into the field before so dont know if I can out their but love following along on others post so will try

I think this year will be a bit different I'm gonna take it easy this year. Probably won't hunt any less but just going to try and take it a little easier and enjoy it. Last few years I've gotten so competitive that I've almost turned into a job and taken the fun out of it. I'm taking an entire week off to fill my antelope tag and going to milk it for all its worth. Maybe do a little less duck hunting this year trying to compete with every swinging dick in the county and a little more time sitting up in a tree relaxing.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisb970
Back